PRE-COOKED GRAVY WALMART

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by roybraddy, Sep 19, 2017.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I haven't looked yet but looking for some good WHITE GRAVY in a bag pre-cooked where I can pour out on JIMMY DEANS Breakfast Meals I can microwave up in three minutes...

Would be great to find some kind of Gavy Pouch that you can keep in the cool section of the fridge and just spoon or pour out what need...

Jimmie deans has their Biscuit and Gravy meals plus a whole bunch of other breakfast meals you can microwave up. I would like to put GRAVY on all of them haha...

There is usually only the two of us camping and alot of times only ME... Most of the camping is OFF-GRID with no 120VAC except with my 2KW Generator. I am usually running my Generator every morning re-charging my battery bank for three hours or so so I can sneak in running my low power manual controlled white faced Microwave unit... We have used the Electric Skillet alot during this time fixing up a pot roast or something for meal later on in the day...

Just wondering if someone else has come up with a good idea here...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    You can get gravy in a can

3. stlouielady

stlouielady Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I have seen packages of Bob Evans (I think) gravy in the refrigerated section at my local grocery store; my store has it near the bacon, sausage, and other breakfast meats.
    Personally, because of limited fridge space, I just take some packets of gravy mix with me; add a cup of water or milk, heat for a few minutes, and I've got gravy. Put what is left in the fridge, and I'm ready for the next time. I think the small packets make 2 cups of gravy.

4. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    stlouielady - Thats probably the better idea... You won't be getting too much excess in the cool section of the fridge to go bad on you...

Guessing from your name you must be from St Louis area. I was raised in Bonnie, ILL (Jefferson County) close to Mount Vernon Illinois... An Illinois Corn Field guy hehe

I'm heading down to WALMART today to pick up some PRINTER INK CARTRIDGES for two of my portable printers and will scan the food store there to see what they have...

MOMMABEAR makes up some good Texas Gravy but sometimes just a small serving is all I need for a quick breakfast... Especially when I am camping by myself up on a Forest Service Road in the high country somewhere around here in Virginia/West Virginia.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I also use the packets... Pioneer Brand is very good and its simple to prepare!

6. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Maybe next time you (or she) makes gravy at home, make extra and freeze portions in ziploc freezer bags. I bet it would taste a lot better!

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    The packets are cheap, just add water, probably biscuits and gravy packet is the ones you want, I think it says peppered gravy mix. most grocery stores carry it. It isn't bad and it is fast. Brown gravy mix is pretty good too for meats, mashed taters etc. We usually get the store brand which is just as good as the expensive stuff

neighbormike likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I always keep a pack of Pioneer brand in the camper. It is OK. I usually doctor it up with some crumbled sausage.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    SO, here's what I would do...

Find either Pioneer, Great Value (Wal-Mart Brand), or Southeastern Brand powdered gravy mix and make it at home. Put it in a little Rubbermaid flip top container. Then when you want some, nuke it with the top off, then pour out what you want, and put it back in the fridge.

I'm all about easy food while camping, and that sounds pretty darn easy. Nuke some pre-made gravy, pour over pre-made biscuits on a paper plate, eat, chuck, done, go fishing. Sounds good to me, and no pot to clean.

10. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Thanks all for the responses. I came back from WALMART with a couple of GRAVY packets and a large plastic container called McCormick COUNTRY GRAVY MIX. This is doctored up with Natural Spices for country home cooking taste... Sounds like making up a couple days of gravy at home and keeping in a zip-lock bag or container in the trailer fridge is probably the best solution for me...

[​IMG]

Found several different BRAND packages of GRAVY MIX to try out as well...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always experimenting with something hehe... Love my Biscuits and Gravy meals...

UPDATE - 30 minutes later... Made some gravy from one of the two cups packets and used my small wattage white faced manual microwave running from my 2KW Generator and all turned pout perfect... I used a Jimmy Deans Sausage Biscuit and Egg and then cut that up in a plastic bowl and pour probably a cup of the gravy over it... The dog took care of the remaining Gravy - Hope it wasn't too spicy for him hehe... It was YUM YUM with my fresh ground and brewed Morning Bean coffee... All done up in backyard camping mode to test out everything...

[​IMG]
    Would have worked just as easy with the trailer stove top...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Wilkywoods and JPBar like this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Getting hungry over here Roy!!

12. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Hey Mike - haha... I was just doing some planning to be able to pull some of this off camping off-grid like I do... I believe I can do some gravy meals pretty easy now running off my batteries using my low wattage microwave... Took me less than 15-minutes getting some good gravy to pour over my Jimmie Dean Breakfast meals...

I had gravy today at any rate... We make gravy all the time using the stove top but this was what to do with some frozen microwavable bowl items mainly when I am out by myself... Momabear is the cook around here hehe...

I remember one time I was in the Gatlinburg TN area by myself on a work road trip and stopped at a WALMART to get something to eat at the Smoky Mtn ELKMONT Camp where I spending the night and I stirred up some pre-cooked hamburger patties in with a big can of pork-n-beans and cooked that up good and hot. Next think I know I got two or three campground dogs over at my POPUP really wanting to get in on some of this haha... I hollered out at the camp site they came from and asked if they didn't mind me feeding them. They said sure go ahead. I had plenty just for me and three or four dogs hehe.... The guy came over to the camp alittle bit after that and wanted to know what I was cooking up to get his dogs all wound up. Didn't have any left to let him taste haha... A can of Pork-n-Bean's with hamburger broken up in it is always a big hit for we humans and dogs.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    D_Gibb likes this.
  13. ohiowrangler

ohiowrangler New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Newark
    Campbell soups has a canned sausage gravy, that's not to bad. GFS has a very good sausage gravy, but it comes in a gallon can. If you brown up a pound of Jimmy Dean spicy sausage, then add half the can of gravy. It's real good with biscuits cooked in a dutch oven or deep skillet. Ham steak on the side with 4 eggs over easy. Then it's time for a nap, Ron

14. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I use pioneer brand, but I'm handcuffed because I have to get gluten free. I do put crumbled sausage and some extra pepper.

15. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    I just polished off a jar of that mccormick stuff. Not too bad and really easy to make. brown up some bulk sausage add the powder and water, bring to a boil and simmer for a minute and done.

16. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I am a fan of the Jimmy Dean Breakfast Meals in a bowl for one. Adding a cup of good country gravy really tops them off. Then the dog gets to lick the bowl after I am done with it haha... Since it has gotten cool here now in Northern Virginia in the mornings I find myself outside here sitting around my wood pile to a nice bon-fire eating a Jimmy Dean covered with white gravy sipping on my fresh ground and brewed bean coffee. Even makes the country music on the radio sound better haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I use the Pioneer gravy, if they don't like what I cook for breakfast there is always a Pop Tart in the camper.

XKPin and neighbormike like this.