Preparing to go to the gray side

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by mpotapa, Oct 22, 2017.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    After having s pop up camper for 5 years we decided to buy a hybrid. We like the pop up but ultimately would like more room and a little easier setup time. Yesterday we put a deposit on a 2018 Rockwood Roo 233s. We are still debating between that one and a Jayco x23b. Both are very nice and fit our needs. We have a two year old and are planning on having another child. We have went camping 5 times this year and 5 times last year. My mother in law lives a couple hours away so we can also camp on their property so my wife and son can see her more often. (hopefully not too often though lol). I will also find out what they will give me for my 2014 Rockwood 2280BH. We still owe 6 grand on it so I am hoping it’s somewhat close to that. I’m not sure how much dealers will try to profit off of trade ins since this is the first time we are doing it. I believe my Ram should be able to handle the Hybrids. The minimum it can tow is 8000. I have to call my dealer to find out exactly what it can tow.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Be sure to calculate your payload and look at yellow sticker inside door jamb.

3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    My max payload is 1520 and my max towing is 8040.

4. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    And I also believe the Rockwood Roo’s GVWR is around 6700

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Get a WDH and you'll be fine..

6. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Is this something I could install or should I let the dealer install it?

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Lots of how too videos out there and most come with pretty easy to read instructions. . You just have make sure you get the right weight bars

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I thought about it and will probably have to have the dealer install it. The place is two hours away so when I drop off my pop up I’m taking home my new camper. I don’t think I want to drive home without it.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    When we traded in the pup and got the TT, I let the dealer set up our WDH.. The tech's do it on a regular basis so they had things done in less then 10 minutes..

10. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Yeah that’s what I did. Today my sales rep gave me a call and told me the finance info, we accepted and I asked him if he could add a WDH and he told us he already added one in the price. He figured we needed one so I’m glad. I can’t wait for next camping season

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Congrats

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Congrats from one Roo owner to another. With a 2018 you should be getting the 5/8 ply floor as opposes to laminated, which they changed to mid production year. That's a good thing. Had I known that change was coming when we ordered our 17 23WS I very well could of held out for it.

Be well prepared to inspect your unit when it arrives. Demand the dealer let you inspect it prior to the PDI which is typically done on the day you take possesion / sign the papers. You may be glad you did. If you want to know the whole, long winded story of what can go wrong when a unit is ordered from the factory PM me, or search through my prior posts in the hybrid section for one made 12-20-2015.

13. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    So I was putting away my pop up for the last time, as I was putting my galley down I heard a little bit of water spill out from somewhere. After further inspection I realize there’s a small crack in the drain hose going from the sink to the outside of my camper. It stretches out when I left the galley down and that’s when the water came out. I checked and there is no water damage and I wiped up the current water that came out. I hope this doesn’t hurt my trade in value too much.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I bet the dealer doesnt even open it untill mid winter..

15. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    This dealer actually is going to set it up with me, and then they inspect it and make a video on it to put on YouTube so they can sell it. I let my sales person know about the issue. Hopefully they don’t charge me more for it since I’ll be spending a good deal of money on some accessories.

16. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    The dealer said it’s no issue, minor repair and doesn’t hurt the trade in value. Our pick up date is next Saturday the 4th. I think I’ll buy the furrion observation camera. I can’t wait to get it, paid for my year of storage yesterday.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Interesting, The dealer I delt with didn't even open the pup until mid winter ( talked to a couple friends who also used the same dealer and said the samething, TT' and HTT's they open upon trade, pups they open in the slower winter season and get them fixed for the early May sales)..

Good that they aren't concerned with the leak.. Cheap easy fix for them, won't even cut into their profit on the trailer..

18. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    congratulations and hope you enjoy your hybrid as much as we enjoy ours.

Snow - when we traded our pup in - we had to open it up and the dealer went over it with a fine tooth comb while we did the PDI on our new hybrid. Next day I realized we had left a small table top under the mattress in the pup and when I called the next day to find out if we could get it - I was informed the pup was already sold and gone. They probably sold it to another reseller as they don't seem to carry used units.