Pricing Advice For Newb & Questions About 07 Arcadia

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by pop^newb, Nov 13, 2017.

1. pop^newb

pop^newb New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Hi all,

My search continues for my first ever RV anything in the form of a pop up. I'm having trouble figuring out pricing and/or what to offer on a lot of these things. I look at NADA so that is a starting point, but it seems like a lot of them are priced over that value, and/or they need more work then what would command their asking price IMO. Guess I"m looking for buying advice, more specifically how did you all that got a great deal get one? Reason I ask is b/c I constantly am combing the sources of used pop ups and I can catch them literally within an hour of being put on. The problem is if you jump on one right away I doubt anyone is willing to work on the price even though it is high, kind of a catch-22. The ones that are priced decent go almost immediately. I found a Coleman Utah with everything I wanted, asking price 3500 which seemed decent to me(?) and called within 12 hours of it being posted only to be told someone else was coming to look at it and of course they bought it. This is the way it has been going lately, pricing either too high and not willing to deal or they are gone. Anyway was just looking for some advice from you guys that know how to deal on these and snag up good deals, how did you do it? Also does anyone know what I should pay for a decent mid-2000's pop up with say a slide and toilet/shower? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    It sounds like you are on the right track. It took me an entire year before I managed to get my unit. It is very frustrating process. Many units I saw were priced insanely high, others were junk. I've been lied to on a number if campers. Missed out on units by just a hair when someone else beat me to it. So don't give up, the right unit is out there but it may take time. As for the price Nada doesn't take into consideration the area, season etc. So you kind of also have to judge by the going price on units selling in your area. For me I got my 2004 Utah for $3500. In my opinion a decent price. I was dang lucky when I got this unit. It sat on a dealers lot for a year because they accidentally mislabled the unit as a slide in truck camper on their website. So no one looking for "popup" would have seen it. Good luck with your search. I do know how frustrating it is and how much gas and time I wasted seeing junk units. Just continue doing what it sounds like your doing.

3. pop^newb

pop^newb New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Hi thanks for the reply. Yes it is frustrating. I thought it would be so much fun looking, but after a bunch of wasted trips and then deals slipping through your hands it kind of takes the fun out of it. One thing that has happened though in all my searching is I've decided what I want to have as far as amenities. They include, slide out for space, a/c, heat, appliances, etc. and a bathroom. I've seen hard side bathrooms that I really like, but will settle for the curtain style as well. I feel like I should be able to get all that in the 3500 area in a mid 2000 pop up but maybe I'm dreaming? I've seen folks asking way more for basic small units, and then some the other way so not sure, does that sound reasonable or should I be raising my budget?

4. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . I think a lot depends on where you live. For me I live in the city in NoVA and $3500 is doable for that type of camper but only in the winter but that is also when popup selection is minimal. I bought mine Dec 24th a couple years ago. With everything but a inside shower. If I was able to raise my budget it probably would have been easier. I also found I had to extend my boundary within a 5 hour drive radius from me. As my immediate area didn't have any pop-ups. Check out RV Trader if you haven't already, although some dealers are even harder on prices, but you might get lucky.

HotelRoyale likes this.
  5. pop^newb

pop^newb New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Well I went to look at one today, a high wall Niagara with shower/toilet and slide out, 2007 model. It was in good condition, not excellent. Canvas and windows was decent, interior clean,etc. Outside it just looked dirty, but I think it can be cleaned. In the corners of the canvas it had that dirty black/greenish look that you get on boat canvas after being out in the weather, but only in tight corners. A lot of the outdoor doors and latches where weather beaten by the sun/elements as it sits outside uncovered. The three way fridge is broken and it needs new tires. He was asking 4500 I offered 3k and he said he would think on it and let me know tonight. Is that a fair offer?

6. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If he goes for $3000 jump on it. Otherwise counter for $3500. $4000 is in my opinion a tad high but doable if it is in Decent shape. How did the ceiling/ roof look? If it didn't feel soft and spongy then it sounds good. Did the floors feel/ look solid? Did you look to see if the frame looked decent with minimal rust? For that price you do have to expect a few things to be repaired, replaced. As long as you don't see anything major and they have a title and give a good vibe.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    As jmkay1 said, you are on the right track as far as what you are doing in your search for a pup.

On paper, it looks like the seller is in the ballpark on price and you are in the correct position to offer $3000 (it has a couple of major flaws and you are compensating for that). You are the one that is going to spend the money, so you need to go with your gut on what you are willing to pay.

I was looking for over two years before the "right deal" came along for me. Never be afraid to walk away. And pull the trigger if you think it is right for you.

8. pop^newb

pop^newb New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Hi jmkay1, everything looked "decent" just weathered as I guess it would being 10 years old and sitting outside. I guess I thought the fridge was a big deal as they are like 1500 to replace if that is what it needs. Floors felt good, surface rust on a few things, underneath looked good. It is hard to describe, it just looked a little "tired" if that makes sense? Maybe I'm being to hard on it not sure. There were just a bunch of "little" things, like he couldn't get the outdoor shower door lock to open, which was really weathered and warped. I doubt that is a huge deal but it starts to add up. I'm not sure what tires would be but I'm guessing 200 or so? I figure there is easy 1500 you could spend by fixing the fridge, new tires, has no battery (150?) with it, and the weathered, warp accessory doors, with a cracked light oustide, etc. Just small stuff that adds up. Are you thinking the fridge isn't that big of a deal? He is the original owner, has all the paperwork, but this pop up is just slowly dying being stored outside. I think it is in good enough shape to bring back from the "tired" look with a lot of elbow grease and some $$$ thrown at it. But if I paid close to his asking then put 1500 in it I could get a much nicer, newer trailer that needed nothing I would think, as I've seen really nice ones in the 5-6.5 range, am I wrong?

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    It's my opinion that most of the people who say the refrigerator is broken don't know how to use it. Tires will set you back $200 or so. A decent size and quality battery will be $125-150. Cleaning is just your time and easy to do. If you can get it for $3500 and the floors and roof are in good shape, then I say it is a deal.

This is the time to get the best deal on a camper. The spring is the worst time as everyone is trying to buy one for their summer vacation. Either way, you have to be ready to jump and jump fast.

jmkay1 likes this.
  10. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I agree with Theseus. Don't give up on the fridge yet, but do note these 3 way fridges are not like your home fridge. If you use it on electricity it takes 24 hours to cool and then it depends on ambient temperature. It does better with a fan to circulate the air inside and out. It being "tired" that is to be expected for that age unit that's been weathered and for the price.

11. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    That doesn't sound right, a 2007 high wall is worth way more than, NADA says average retail of $7400(without AC)for my area. Take off 700 - 800 for the fridge and he is still asking way too low. This makes me wonder what's wrong with this trailer.

The fridge in the Fleetwood Highlanders is not like the 3-ways in used in smaller pups. They are controlled from the front panels, as long as you are plugged in and the gas is turned on all you have to do is turn the switch to the power source you want. They do need a source of 12VDC for the control electronics. So if the converter is having problems or the wiring to the fridge is messed up the fridge may not work.

12. pop^newb

pop^newb New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I have no idea, but I haven't heard from him so that is usually not a good sign, oh well. I've been thinking, what about buying an older one for little money with bad canvas and just redoing the whole thing including new canvas? Maybe that is a better move as those seem plentiful and then everything would be new. Canvas being the biggest expense at around 1000 bucks, if you picked one up for <1000 for 2500 total you could have a nice unit that was almost new except for the frame. I've found a 2000 coleman Sun Valley where the crank broke b/c the owner over torqued it. He said it was his first pop up, something popped, he was able to get it down but it won't go back up, crank just spins. I was thinking a shear pin or something, but I'm new and a guess. He said I have to take his word for how nice it is canvas/interior. Said he paid 3000 for it and is selling for 700, thoughts? Is that biting off more than I can chew? I'm very mechanically inclined and the lift system seems simple enough, but not sure about getting parts, etc. or if it is worth messing with?

13. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    probably has a ABS roof, so it needs to be checked very carefully.

14. Fless

Fless Active Member

I thought Coleman stopped manufacturing the ABS roof in the early 2000s (2003 or so)?

15. pop^newb

pop^newb New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    He was referring to the one I'm looking at that needs a crank system, it is a 2000 model.

16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    He's talking about a 2000 Coleman Sun Valley...

17. Fless

Fless Active Member

Cool. My bad.