Private Campground cost - am I being cheap?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by ny_rocking_chairs, Jul 6, 2017.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    The obvious advantage to a pull through is the fact that you don't back up. Some folks just don't like to do it. My preference is bock in as well, but if DW were to choose the site, I'd think she would want the pull through.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I mostly go to RV resorts because of convenience of going to town, events and beach. Summer rates are high and sometimes it ends on Sept 15 and summer rates start up again in mid May. Holiday rates are higher than the summer rates. I camp out a lot off season.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX

If I know I will be getting in after dark I will get a pull through if possible. I always manage to screw up backing into a site at night.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think we've only camped in one campground that even had pull-throughs, and that was two sites out of the whole campground. And they were literally just pulled off of the main road through the campground, so it was like camping on he shoulder.

I'll take the nicer site with backing anyday ;)

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I could back the Cobalt just fine, one of my goals for this year is to learn to back the Retro. That gives me a wider choice. However, we've had some great pull-through sites. The one we're in now is at a USFS CG, pull through with a vegetated space on the road side and a huge distance of no other sites on the other. Some of our favorite campsites at Grand Canyon are similar.
    I've used pull-through sites overnight, usually at private campgrounds, just to save time and effort.
    With the stupid headlight set-up on the truck, a pull thru means we're less apt to be pointing at another campsite.

6. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    They are open during game days for starts. so you can park there. they might run transport stuff.

7. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    SE Minnesota
    I've got the same thing coming up at the end of this month. Our family has got so big now and spread out over 4 states that it's hard for everyone to get together for a day around Christmas (we try the weekend before or the weekend after). And then there is the issue of Mother Nature not always cooperating when we do get a date set. We had on set this last Christmas, but a snow storm canceled it for us. Instead, we doing "Christmas in July" this year. We're all going to a Jellystone campground (got a block of sites) for a weekend of camping. One of the reason we picked this type of campground is because it's close to a city, so people without campers can get a hotel room. And even before it happens, we're talking about doing it again next year, and making it a tradition.

Even though it is at a big campground and costs $55 a night. I camp mostly at state parks and forests, much cheaper than this place. It's a 6 hour drive for just one day - get there Friday evening, set up, relax a little, have all day Saturday, then get up Sunday, have breakfast, and pack up. Not my cup of tea. If I'm going that far, I like to have more time there to enjoy it. So I made reservations at a state pack along the way home to stay at from Sunday until Wednesday.

Bottom line, it's family. You have to suck it up and make it work. Some of those family members you may not get a chance to see again (I don't know your family, so just guessing). Wouldn't it be nice to see them one last time before their gone?