Private campgrounds near Black Hills: Recommendations please

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by CampingCubFan, Jun 3, 2018.

1. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

Jun 26, 2016
    We plan to go to the Black Hills area during peak vacation time -- late July. Custer State Park is booked solid and we are tentatively booked at Big Pine Campground. However, they don't have the days we would prefer, so we are considering others.
    We like relatively quiet campgrounds, with just a few amenities for our teen boys (maybe a basketball court or ??).
    Considered Rafter J, but only their Main Campground (would prefer the less busy Ranch area) is available and it's a bit expensive.
    Thanks all!

2. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I stayed at Rafter-J a few years ago in one of their cabins.
    I loved the resort. Super clean, and really friendly staff!
    It was quiet as far as I could tell..................my snoring on the other hand...............

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Southern MN
    We have stayed at Rafter-J twice. We really liked it.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We'll be there in mid to late July so maybe we'll cross paths :) We managed to get a few nights in Custer State Park (Stockade South) then, for something completely different than what we ever do, are trying the Mt. Rushmore KOA, which is kind of the opposite of what you said you want (and also the opposite of what we normally want): high priced and lots of resort amenities like a water park. We shall see if we like it or not lol.

5. RooNRo

RooNRo New Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I'm from the area. Never stayed at the Rafter J though - we're more forest service type folks. You might try Legion Lake. It's located inside Custer State Park without actually being in the park. Not sure what their reservation system is, but you would at least have the amenities of CSP nearby. You'd have to pay the CSP fee to use them of course. Hope you have a great time!