Problems with Drain Connector and Gray Water Outlet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by mtndrew, Mar 16, 2018.

1. mtndrew

mtndrew Member

Jan 12, 2018
    PC You-taw
    Hello again wise portal folk. I have yet another bug(s) I need assistance with. Two problems really:

1. There are not enough threads on the male end (from the sink) of my gray water output for my connector to attach to (see pic). Can the flange (if that is the right term) be removed to open up more threads? The flange appears to be on fairly tight, in that I could not spin it with my fingers, and I wanted some help before yarding on it with channel locks. This is my main challenge.

2. When I screw on my 1-1/2" x 3/4" drain connector to my other gray water output (shower) it leaks no matter how tightly I screw it (yes, there is a gasket in there, and it is brand new). Does anyone have any ideas how to address the leak?

Grateful for any help or advice! Drew

Attached Files:

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    It may be that the collar is bottoming out before the gasket is engaged. Have you tried two gaskets?

To answer your direct question; I wouldn't take the flange off. That's what's holding it in the wall. I might consider cutting the flange down thinner, but I'd try two gaskets first.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Something isn't right with your threads. My 2014 Flagstaff gray water drain threads sticks out a lot further than the one in your picture. Have you looked from the inside to see if it may have been installed improperly? Maybe the collar just need to be turned to bring the threats further out.

I'm only guessing
    , but there may be another collar on the inside of the pup that helps hold it in place. If so, you will need to adjust this one too. The double collar is used on my boat's live well drain, so that is why I'm thinking there may be a double collar on the pup. With the double collar on the boat's drain, I can adjust the amount of threads on the transom.

You will have to reseal with silicone if this is the case.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Adding more gaskets would be the easiest solution.

5. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I agree, unless adding gaskets take make it impossible for the connector to catch on the threads.

6. mtndrew

mtndrew Member

Jan 12, 2018
    PC You-taw
    Thanks - so, for Problem #1, with the minimal available threads on the sink's gray water male end, adding a gasket is not an option as there are barely enough threads to attach the connector as it is. Sorry if I was not clear about that. @BikeNFish I see your point in that there are possibly two collars that adjust the thread access.

Does anyone have a similar PUP (Mine has a swinging galley, and it is not clear how I would 'remove' the internal wall to have access to the outgoing drain pipe) with advice as to where to start looking for a possible internal sleeve?

Regardless, it seems as though I will need to fuss with the external sleeve at a minimum and re-seal with silicone. Is there a special wrench needed, or just my channel locks?

For Problem #2 (my second gray water coming from the shower) - it seems like the best advice is to try a second gasket to stop the small but annoying leak there.

7. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    If you have the same setup as me, you should be able to see it through the felt galley panel cover or if you remove the access panel next to the furnace.

Kitchenette & Floor.jpg

8. mtndrew

mtndrew Member

Jan 12, 2018
    PC You-taw
    Ah.....Yes, similar layout (furnace is on the other side, but otherwise the same). I will dig back there!

9. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I do not have a washer/gasket between the nut and the camper siding. If you removed it, you will have a couple more threads.

10. mtndrew

mtndrew Member

Jan 12, 2018
    PC You-taw
    18275DD0-3C5F-4303-B706-3D1F9D5E8EA1.jpeg Success!

Thanks everyone, especially @BikeNFish. It was pretty easy to get in there and extend the length.

BikeNFish likes this.