Propane Modification -- Need Advice

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Brian Preston, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Brian Preston

Brian Preston New Member

Hello All,

I'm new here... Last year we purchased a Viking 2170ST Pop-Up... So far we are loving it, but now I want to make some changes... :)

First change I was looking at doing was to add a Second propane tank to the setup, but having the ability to use the built in stove and heater (One Regulator) and being able to connect our normal BBQ (Second Regulator)... Does this make sense?

Ultimately from the front of the trailer I will run a second line to the side/back where there is already a quick connected propane connection for the stove, to use with the BBQ...

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Why not just add a second tank and bring along a longer hose? You wouldent need to modify much, can move the grill to diffent spots and could run the grill and stove at the same time?

3. Brian Preston

Brian Preston New Member

Yes, That's my fall back plan, one Tank for each purpose.. But it would be nice to have both tanks connected to a Auto-Changeover system, so both tanks could feed both sides at the same time, etc...

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

This 12' hose looks interesting. ACME connect to new cylinder and then use your grill's ACME to connect to the other end of the hose

With the auto swich regulator you could run an additional low pressure to the outside, you'd remove the regulator from your grill and connect via hose. Terminate the additional low pressure hose how you like.

If you want reg high pressure or container pressure then only one cylinder would feed that since the auto switch is reg low pressure output.

see page 33
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ighlander_Parts_Book.pdf?16695232820753828628

that is how to do it without the auto switch.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a splitter that I can install on one of my tanks - still allows the camper to hook up but gives me extra connections for some long hoses.

Do you have a quick connect port on the side of your camper? Is your BBQ high pressure or low pressure? I modded my Weber to run off the low pressure, and also built a splitter so I could have two quick connects at once.

I also bought a 5lb tank that I use for camping and will bring it along if I need additional propane in the kitchen area outside.