Pump gas in lantern and camp stove BITD

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by AzJeff, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

White gas was a Amoco product before unleaded was a broad requirement. Perhaps even before unleaded was developed. I can still remember the sting of "having" to buy unleaded when everyone else was running regular gas. Man, that put a hitch in my wallet. I don't think you can buy white gas any more. I use Crown fuel from Walmart; it's about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of Coleman fuel.

2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

LOL, if you ever camp in a site next to mine, you'll see both Coleman liquid fueled lanterns & stoves, I still use both, though I do have a Blackstone griddle that's propane, we cook on it quite a bit

BelchFire likes this.
  3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

In my part of the world Amoco's were called Standard back in those days. They had unleaded gas four or five years before it became mandatory in 1975 (I think). Those of you old enough will remember that regular gasoline had an orangish tint. Unleaded is pretty much white. Is the same as the white gas some of you are talking about? [:)C]

Business-ascensions_standard-oil.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. BelchFire

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm no expert, but I believe white gas and unleaded were two different things, made for the same purpose. Coleman fuel and Crown fuel are both generic Naphtha.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. BelchFire

Me too. Not us much lanterns as my three burner 426D or my Dad's 413G.

6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Stopped using premium a few years ago when it got up to around $4 a gal & had to fill my 'burb up lol...

***Had to go by Wally World, wondering what the wife mentioned was driving me nuts, sure 'nuf, Crown white gas was what they had, no Coleman Fuel...it was either $7.64 a gal or $12.92, couldn't read the small print on the bottom shelf...they also stopped selling Redskin Potato Salad, need to find another source...

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't remember it ever coming from a gas station, but will always call it white gas.

That's what I grew up with, and it's what I still use. Our Walmart sells Coleman and another brand, that I don't know the name of.

We don't need a lantern much these days. Sites have gotten smaller, and closer together since we moved to FL.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but if memory serves me correct. Amoco's regular gas was leaded, and their high test was the white gas

9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I would have grabbed those for that price.
    I mean, they would have went on a shelf in the garage with other stuff I don't need or use. But I would have bought them just the same.

BelchFire and kcsa75 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

"White gas (aka “naphtha,” “100% light hydro treated distillate"from the artical I posted. You could also use gas for these stoves and pretty much anything else that burns.....

Orchid likes this.
  11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Maybe I've been wrong all these years, but I've used the terms 'white gas, camp fuel, naptha, and Coleman gas" all as the same thing. I interchange the words all the time. The last few years I've been trying everywhere to buy it in bulk, but haven't found it yet. I regularly use 2 lanterns and a stove on every trip we are on. A US gallon here, (3.78L), costs $22 everywhere. I'm trying to find something cheaper. People tell me to swap over to propane, but then I have all my naptha appliances hanging around, and as someone else mentioned, you can hardly sell ant of it.

On a side note, one of my newer lanterns says its a dual fuel. Supposed to be able to run it on pump gas for your car. I've never tried it, maybe I should.

20180627_185007.jpg

Rik Peery, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Read post #3 it atually explains a lot!

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We used to buy the Hi Test at Sunoco, for our Coleman stoves and lanterns (race cars used to use it too) we called it white gas back then and never had a problem. Now I buy wally world, I know a couple of people that used the reg unleaded in the dual fuel lanterns but they did not do well, so they went back to wally world.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Coleman fuel is $22 a gallon? [EEK]

As you can tell, it's been a while since I bought any.
    We didn't do family camping trips for a bit and the last Coleman fuel I had I used to start a brush pile burning in the yard.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have a dual fuel lantern and stove that I have never used ... It's brand new, still in the box. Just couldn't pass up the deal I got on it.

Like you, we have never used anything but white gas, despite the fact that unleaded gas is okay.

I wouldn't sell my white gas appliances, even if I could. I love using them. DH has a propane stove and lantern, and the stove is an inferior piece of crap. I won't use it.

Wrenchgear likes this.
  16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We used one of the dual fuel Coleman stoves during a group trip. I was not impressed. Also not impressed with the propane camp stoves I’ve seen. The friends we camp with have had a couple; they like them because the DW had a problem with their Coleman fuel one and refuses to use one again. (OTOH, i don’t like the LP lantern becauseis has misbehavd more than the white gas one.) whatever works for each of us.

17. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Might have been called Naptha or white gas.

18. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Nothing smells like camping or a cottage to me without the Coleman fuel smell and a mosquito coil. Though even now they have made mosquito coils smell flowery. Booo!

Wrenchgear, xxxapache, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  19. DanLee

DanLee Member

I've always used Coleman fuel or other brands of camping gasoline (Crown, Great Land, etc.) in my stoves and lanterns. Just got back from a four day trip with the grandkids where I used a 428 (three burner dual fuel) to do all the cooking. Found a rusty old can of Coleman fuel which had never been opened and a price sticker of $2.49. Worked great.

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

How are these dangerous? We use them on every trip, and have for years. Burns hotter than propane and cheaper to run.

Orchid and kcsa75 like this.