Pump gas in lantern and camp stove BITD

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by AzJeff, Jun 27, 2018.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Camp next to me and you'll see someone else :) I don't understand why people would rather buy expensive and wasteful disposable propane cylinders than pour a little fuel in the stove and pump it up.

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

After reading this thread I've suddenly felt younger. Thanks to all!!!! Does anyone remember .29 for a pack of smokes???[:)C]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Luckys were a quarter.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I remember walking to the corner drug store and getting them for my Grandfather.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've heard this about dual fuel stoves. We may never know since I still use our green one and DF one still in box. It's a back up, but would be surprised if my current white gas one ever stops working.

The DF lantern is just as good as regular white gas ones. We've used that for over 15 years.

The stove was just a crazy good price. I think I paid under $20 for it. I only had it out of box to look at it, never been fired up. I just worry that Coleman will stop making white gas appliances.

With their reliable history, ( I have the lantern of my childhood with a 1966 date on bottom that still works great) I may die of old age before I need to break out the DF stove anyway. [LOL]

6. DanLee

DanLee Member

The dual fuel appliances have generators with a bit larger inner diameter and jet to prevent clogging from the additives in regular unleaded gasoline. They tend to burn more fuel but otherwise performance is the same as the older stoves and lanterns.

Orchid likes this.
  7. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I've STILL got one the one-gallon cans of Coleman fuel that my parents used toward the end of their camping time. (mid 1990-s) And another similar can that was hand-me-down from one of my brother-in-laws, a few year later on. Safe to say that we don't run the coleman stove or the lantern all that often, LOL.

Even the old fuel still burns well enough in the stove, we use that a little less frequently than the propane fueled one attached to the popup. But sometimes the portability of the Coleman stove comes in handy. In fact, I used it in May with good results. Can't recall the last time I even tried to light the lantern, we just don't have need for that much light at camp it seems.

Orchid likes this.
  8. tfischer

We use the lantern nearly every time we camp... great for putting on the table with S'more ingredients (at a lower level) then for playing card games late at night.

When we first got the pup we quit bringing along the Coleman stove, but now we bring it again... it's nice to have 4 burners at breakfast in particular and our pancake griddle fits on that one better than it does our pup stove. We can dedicate that stove to pancakes and the other to coffee/eggs/sausage/whatever else we're doing

Orchid likes this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I hardly ever use the small propane cylinders, I use a big tank and adapter hose.
    I can get the big tank refilled a few miles from home for around $15.

Think the small tanks are $12 for 4.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Danger is in the eye of the beholder, if there not comfortable with something, that's up to them. It becomes dangerous making someone use something they don't want to. Some people don't like fuel stoves, some don't like propane. Hell people still don't like natural gas because it goes boom.

Orchid likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is nail on the head. I am afraid of propane, so won't use it. I have even removed it from our camper and capped the lines. We are total electric.

I don't even like driving with propane canisters, the small ones. Perhaps not logical, but that's me. I am 100% fine with white gas.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is funny that you are so afraid of propane yet 100% okay with white gas. White gas is extremely flammable. It is what fire breathers use for their shows. I would use either but think that propane is still a little safer, especially with kids around.

13. tfischer

I think they are both pretty safe, so long as you give them the cautions that flammable liquids/gasses require.