Pup Security

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Kamikazz, May 20, 2016.

1. Kamikazz

Kamikazz New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Hi,

Live in LA so I'm used to anything not nailed down getting ripped off.

Do things get ripped off at RV parks?

The door lock is pretty weak on any PUP's I've seen.

I bought a long cable for stoves and stuff but I'm not sure if I'm paranoid. New to PUP and RC camping for 6 months.

Thx

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My family has camped over 40 years on state parks, national forest campgrounds and RV resorts. We have never had anything stolen.

3. sfrancois06

sfrancois06 Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I suppose it depends greatly on the area you live and camp in, however I have not had any issues at the camp grounds. Maybe we have been lucky but most people seem to be pretty nice and social at the camp grounds, I havent noticed any issues with theft. If you think about it , the locks on the door of a PUP dosent need to be super duty, the walls are made of canvas and Velcro. If someone really wants your things it isn't too hard to get. My suggestion is to lock anything super valuable or important in the TV (hidden away under a seat or something). We usually try not to bring items to precious to loose while camping, if we get robbed or the PUP is damaged I have an affordable full coverage insurance plan from Progressive.

Have fun camping!!

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Door lock [LOL] You do realize that there is canvas being held on by Velcro two inches from the door lock

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Locks are really useless on a PUP, but it is better then nothing, I have never had anything stolen while camping, most people are there for the same reason, to enjoy the outdoors and are for the most part friendly. In fact locks that come on TT's are pretty much useless as they are pretty much inter-changeable especially the 751 locks that are used for most storage doors (and a lot of PUP's the door locks are pretty much the same way on solid doors too, I usually change them out just for security. But as stated I hve never had anything stolen while camping.

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Feb 1, 2012
    Most of our camping is not in improved sites, having said that, we do once in a while. One time at a big improved site, there was someone driving around real late at night, they would drive through the loops quick like, someone would jump out and grab chit jump back in and they would drive off. But that was long ago, the only time. We bone dock/disperse camp mostly in the southeastern mountains of AZ. Illegal activity from Mexico, immigrants, drug runners are very real. While we have yet to have a problem, I am very aware. When we leave the trailer alone to hike or drive around, I layer the security from wheel locks, hitch lock, motion 130 db siren (painful). My wife never hikes alone for her birding photography without her 38+p Ruger snub nose, and I am always armed too whenever we go anywhere. Mostly armed cause I'm just used to that, been that way all my life, but it's cheap possible life saving insurance.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Just leave valuables at home, lock up bikes and put away things that someone could walk off with.

8. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Obviously, most security measures that you take are going to be a deterrent more than anything else.

When I was younger and went PU camping with my folks, the only thing we ever had stolen was the spare tire- which prompted my dad to lock up the replacement. :) Even though someone could get it if they really wanted it, it would have been way more obvious to anyone looking that something was amiss.

I feel the same with the door lock. Certainly, if someone wanted in, they could do it in about 10 other ways. But those ways are more time-consuming and obvious. I think that most people who are going to steal from a campsite are looking for the quick in and out.

I think, too, that at some point you just have to use your common sense, and perhaps treat it like you would when you park your car. If you leave expensive stuff in plain sight on the seat of your car, it will attract thieves. Same with this. Put the expensive stuff out of sight. Don't call attention to yourself.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We started with ground camping, so have long been used to keeping cameras, etc. in the vehicle. a popup isn't much more than a tent on wheels, so we treated ours as such. In most of the places we camp, if I wasn't in camp, I would stash my Kindles, etc. under, behind or in things inside the pup.
    Most thieves are opportunists, so anything done to make it less easy to steal is good. We do have a cable for our solar panel, and one for the bike when it's along. So far, I just stash the Little Red Campfire under the camper when it's not in use, but if/when we buy the small (& pricey) 1 gallon LP tank for it, I'll be cabling that to something, since it would be easy to take it and run.
    For the campers themselves - once set up, most likely someone will not take the time to take down a pop-up and steal it. Our small TT would probably be a bit easier to tow off than a pup. We do keep an coupler lock on the camper at all times - for assurance that we have it latched well, as to keep any thief or vandal from opening it while we're on the road.

10. 5cvlabrenzs

5cvlabrenzs Member

Feb 7, 2011
    If we wanted to lock the PUP dutch door when we left, we'd have to take down the exterior stove to close it, so we don't bother. We usually put our iPads, phones, wallets, binoculars, and similar stuff in the TV if we go away.

We were camping near a town once (Morro Bay) and the ranger told us the most stolen items at night were portable generators and coolers. Generators by the pro's & coolers by the local kids looking for free beer! Lock 'em both up tight in the TV or PUP.

11. Redbird

Redbird Member

Feb 28, 2016
    West Michigan, USA
    We've never had anything stolen from a site anywhere we've camped in Michigan (but our experiences over the years have primarily been in state parks). Like others have said, a door on a PUP is basically useless because anyone who wants in can just unzip, unvelcro, etc. the canvas and reach for the door and/or anything they would want. Our rules are generally (a) to not bring anything valuable on a trip we couldn't afford to lose and (b) take anything electronic, etc., with us or lock it in the tow vehicle when we are not at our campsite. If we take the tow vehicle on a trip to town or on a day trip away from the campground, the electronics come with us.

12. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The only thing that I've had stolen is lunch meat out of my cooler. Figured in the back of my truck was good enough to keep the thieves at bay. The thief had a band over his eyes so I don't think I would have been able to identify him in a lineup though...

Attached Files:

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We have found that most places we camp at the neighbor camper really look out for one another...

When camping OFF-ROAD we very seldom leave the camp site unattended for any length of time.

Been doing this a long time now since starting tent camping in the 60s-70s...

So far have not had anything stolen... Having said that I have run off and some good items still sitting on a tree stump somewhere haha... One place I when I got back home and I couldn't find my brand new Hatchet I just purchased... Went back to where I was camping a couple of weeks later and sure enough there it was laying next to a tree stump where I was cleaning up some firewood to burn...

Out of sight out of mind has been our best deterrent... Any valuables we have stays in the truck..

Roy Ken

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I am 73 and have camped in one sort or another and in all kinds of places for most of them. I have had something stolen only once, We were camping
    in Sebastian Inlet, (Fl) we had stopped for lunch and my DW saved her salad and 2 thingy s of dressing for later, I placed it in the ice cooler, the next morning a racoon had taken her salad and 1 dressing, he even closed the cooler back, next night he opened the cooler and found nothing and left it open. However if someone wanted to steal a pup has little to hold anyone back. We do have the three amigos who let us know when something is not right, if we are there. We have went on the dark side (due to medical reasons) tho and it is a lot sturdier when locked.

15. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I leave valuables in the car. As for outdoor stove and tackle box and such, I throw them in the camper then put up the step and lock it. They can still get in, but will have a much harder, obvious time of it.

As for the adorable trash pandas, we went to a farmer's market while camping in Hocking Hills one day and bought a big bag of peaches, tomatoes, and a whole watermelon and unwittingly left them on top of a tall dorm fridge outside. Woke up the next morning, and it was ALL eaten, all that was left was half of a watermelon rind. We figured there had to be a few trash pandas with stomach aches that day.... [LOL]

16. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    just apply common sense, you wouldn't leave your wallet in plain view, why do it with your other valuables.
    also put a sign on the door that read..."if you can read this, you're in range" , assuming the rat can read..

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is the only type of thief that has ever hit us as well. They've hit us a few times over the years, most notably for an entire unopened bag of Reese Cups.

I'm 52, been camping since birth in tents the vast majority of the time. I camped as a child, with my own kids, and now my grandchildren. Honestly, I've never been one to take any precautions. All of our camping equipment has always been left out in plain sight.

I realize we are now in days of electronics, but the only electronics that camp with us are cell phones, which we have on our person. I have found my fellow campers to be overwhelming the best people society has to offer. Of course there will be that rare jerk, but I've yet to encounter one.

18. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Mar 1, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Totally agree with others. I said somewhere else on this forum that campers are the nicest people I've met. Heck, we get more waves and "hellos" from our temporary camping neighbors than we do from people that live in our neighborhood. I learned the first time we set up our PUP in our driveway that we weren't given a key for the front door. We have no way to lock it. I saw the velcro right next to the door jamb and shrugged.

Yes, we bring electronics too. Typically cell phones that we keep on or with us. Nothing of serious value (jewelry and computers) need to come camping.

The only valuables we hide are the remnants from meals. When we forget to put garbage in the TV overnight, those adorabe bandit looking critters smash and grab leaving a mess for me to clean up in the morning.

19. idler

idler Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Yep.

My neighborhood is pretty friendly, but being outside and seeing people engages best behavior in many.

Also, I clean my camp area at night because it seems to rain on the weekends when I mostly camp. And, I never have the nicest stuff anyway. Who wants my Coleman Triton propane stove when someone has a Primus or Camp Chef nearby and they leave it out day and night? My 98lb Cheseapeake Bay Retriever warning system doesn't hurt either. Goofy dog with the LOUDEST bark once he goes on alert.