PUP To Hybrid Reduced Setup and Packing?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by jonshonda, May 15, 2017.

1. jonshonda

jonshonda Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Yeah, very under the radar SUV. Shares 90% mechanical w/ the 4runner. 4.7 V8, full time 4wd with 4Lo and Locking Center Diff. Downhill Assist, you can turn off the roll over airbags when getting crazy on steep stuff, 2nd gear start for slippery roads, and very good "simulated" front/rear LSD.

Best part is they are usually owned by mall crawling rich moms who take them in to Lexus for every single service exactly when they are supposed to. Lexus quality is second to none, that is why I laugh when someone suggests a GM or Ford product. They don't hold a candle to Lexus for quality of materials and fit-n-finish, reliability, or longevity.

Regarding frontal area, no idea. The 4.7 V8 has a great rep and plenty of power. The 600lb hitch is from Lexus and there is nothing else out there that increases the capacity. WDH should be a non-issue, it's a body on frame SUV. Strong like bull.

2. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Does it share a 4runner frame also? Does Toyota have a stronger hitch that would work? Reason I ask is I would be concerned that the hitch is not strong enough. A lot of times if the hitch does not mention WD, it is not designed to handle it. How is the hitch mounted? Does the mounting part to the frame extend forward on the frame 12-18 inches or is it just attached to the rear most part? Hard to explain on a forum.
    With modern vehicles power is almost never an issue, I remember my parents towing boats/RV's with 70's sedans with maybe 200hp on a good day and the rear bumper dragging the ground, we survived.... I would research further since you are aware you will be exceeding tongue weight. I've done it plenty of times and survived so I am not grilling you, just research as I did.

Vehicle = more than capable
    Hitch = ?????

Adam

3. flash82

flash82 Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Northern KY
    Hi. A couple of things. Yes, there is a hybrid with a king bed. Look at the Starcraft 186rd.
    We moved from a Coleman pop up with shower to a Jayco hybrid. The setup time is cut tremendously. Beds just fold down with cables, no pole supports. Little things like in order to start using the water on the popup I had to get the aquatainers set. Now I have on board tanks. Getting ready for a trip...'oh, forgot to put in the toiletries". No big deal, open up the door and put them in. Now the outside stuff (chairs,grill, etc) go in the outside storage. Can put away anytime instead of a certain order before the top went down on the pop up.

4. jonshonda

jonshonda Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Well, a lot has happened in the last two weeks. We bought a 2018 Rockford Roo 19 Hybrid. It checked all the boxes, and then some. I have gone bat sh!t crazy w/ upgrades already though....killing that bank account. But it's all in an effort to better organize the Roo, better access for kids, and to allow dry camping abilities like we had in or pup.

So far I have:
    1) added (3) AGM batteries inside the Roo under the dinette seat, just in front of the front axle. I swapped out the 8ga wire from the converter to 4ga.

2) Stinky slinky fence post mod

3) Step stabilizer

4) Added a handle at the bottom of the screen door to allow our 3 & 5yo to open the door easily.

5) Cut (6) 6x6" treated blocks for the stab jacks and tongue jack, put handles on them so they are easy to carry.

I plan on adding a storage box to the tongue of the camper for our chairs, awning, fishing poles....etc.

5. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Jan 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I switched from a pup to a hybrid a few years ago for more storage room and a quick setup. What I found is with more storage room, I take more junk to setup. So, my setup time basically is the same.

6. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    Camping sure is fun and relaxing, isn't it? :D

7. jonshonda

jonshonda Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We have completed 3 great wknds w/ our new hybrid, and are liking it. I have done some mods to allow the kids to get in and out of the camper easier (additional handles on screen and exterior doors). The thing I have noticed is there isn't much room for storage of things like our chairs, fishing poles, and canoe paddles.

So I took it upon myself to build a storage box to mount onto the tongue. Although there is minimal room up there, the batteries are moved into the camper under the dinette, and the propane tanks are slid as far forward as possible. This leaves me w/ roughly 12" to work with. While the box is narrow, its 22" tall and almost 7' long. It will hopefully work perfect for the things we don't like having to haul in/out of the camper.

I have built it strong enough to hopefully mount our kids bikes on top. Now I just need to paints it and mount it. I will post pics when done.