PUPs stove or stand alone stove?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by LakePUP, Feb 7, 2011.

  1. LakePUP

    LakePUP New Member

    Jan 9, 2011
    I have recently purchased a new to me PUP (2002 Coleman Cottonwood) and have a question regarding cooking. The PUP came with a 2 burner stove, but the counter insert that is used to sit the stove in has been broken. I have the bracket which holds the counter to the outside of the camper and the metal support post. My question is should I build a new counter to use with the stove or purchase a stand alone stove similar to the COLEMAN PERFECTFLOW 2-BURNER PROPANE STOVE? Thank you for your input.
  2. NYgranny

    NYgranny New Member

    Don't know how much time, money and trouble it will take for you to repair your pup's stove. We use both the stove in the pup and our stand-alone propane stove. The one in the camper is a low-flow model (I think they all are) and it takes longer to cook on it. Some trips we use only the pup stove, but often cook outside on the stand-alone. We have an RVQ that fastens to the outside of the pup---it's low-flow, too, and takes longer to grill. We carry a table-top propane grill with us, too. I guess you have to decide for yourself, but I vote "Do both".
  3. RFryer

    RFryer Hopkinton, MA

    Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    I think that stove is a low pressure stove and from what i've heard and read here they just don't perform as well as the high pressure stoves like the stand-alone Colemans. I use a Coleman duel burner I picked up at an outdoor store and hook it up to a 20lb propane tank, works well.
  4. jtuc1

    jtuc1 Northeast Alabama

    Sep 3, 2007
    If I understand you correctly, the stove still works just fine, it just won't fit into the counter correctly inside the pup. If it were me, I would see which will cost the most, building a stand for the pup stove, or getting a new stove. Then I would do the option that costs the least. I never use the pup stove inside the pup anyway. I prefer not to cook in there. It may not really make cooking smells get into the canvas, but I always thought it might.
  5. Unstable_Tripod

    Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

    May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I say to get a free-standing Coleman camp stove and cook outside, well away from your PUP. Those stoves are not very expensive and perform much better than the reduced pressure models made for the PUP.
  6. kitphantom

    kitphantom Well-Known Member

    Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It will depend on what your style and preferences are for cooking. There are some on the board who never cook in the pup; some have removed the stove, others have left it in for resale value. I think others never cook on anything but the pup's stove, in &/or outside.

    We prefer to cook outside, on a white gas Coleman. However, it is handy to have the capability to do simple meals or hot water inside. We use the inside stove if the weather is too cold or windy (after years of ground camping, having an alternative is luxury); I also used it on quick overnight stops traveling to & from the east last year.
    We actually have a new cook top ordered, as ours was not working well. [We removed the sink last year during renovation, the extra counter space is far more useful.]

    If you aren't sure if you will cook inside, you might want to take a couple of trips with things the way they are and see how it works.
  7. txpups

    txpups New Member

    Jul 8, 2010
    Personal opionion here, but we just don't cook in the PUP. We have a Weber Q we use to grill on, and a Coleman cookstove that we use on our little kitchen to go table. We occasionally use the micro in the PUP and have a portable oven that we have yet to use. I think you'll find that the more time you spend with your PUP, the more you'll find you don't want to cook IN the PUP unless by force.
  8. rabird

    rabird Howdy!

    Mar 3, 2006
    The in/out stoves are hard pressed to boil a large pot of water.

    A Coleman 2 burner stove works much better and can be hauled to wherever the outside kitchen is. I also have a CampChef Weekender.
  9. Flyfisherman

    Flyfisherman New Member

    We use a Coleman 2-burner camp stove for cooking outside, and is a high pressure stove (10 psi if I remember correctly) and is well suited for outdoor use. Rather than using one of those 16oz disposable canister tanks, I have it rigged with an 8' L/P hose and it's connected to a refillable L/P tank ... much cheaper and more effecient.

    The camper indoor/out door stove stays inside and will use it for the morning coffee or heating hot water, soup or left overs in bad weather and we're forced inside. These indoor RV cooking stoves are low pressure, rated a 11" WC pressure. To get that in perspective, 1 psi = 28" WC pressure. That outdoor Coleman camp stove will blow the lid off this indoor/outdoor camper stove performance wise.
  10. LakePUP

    LakePUP New Member

    Jan 9, 2011
    How do you rig a 20 lb tank to work with a Coleman stove in leiu of the small tanks?
  11. Snow

    Snow Well-Known Member

    Jul 19, 2007
    We use both stoves and a tabletop bbq.. we have the coleman stove and bbq connected to a 20 lb tank and the I/O stove connected to the pup.. comes in handy when you got 4 out of 5 burners going for breakfast...
  12. Mosbyranger

    Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

    May 29, 2009
    Western Colorado
    I took the stove and sink out of my pup and replaced them with a counter top. It made for more usable space. If I need to cook in the pup I'll use the 2 burner portable stove and a small green propane tank. Outside, we have a 20 lb tank with a tree on it that allows us to mount a lantern on top and run 2 hoses if needed, to other appliances like the stove. The tree and hoses are available at Wal- Mart. I shop there because Rangerson works there and I get a 10% discount. I'm sure that they are available at other outlets as well.
  13. Snow

    Snow Well-Known Member

    Jul 19, 2007
    With one of these [​IMG]

    OR one of these [​IMG]

    and a couple of these

  14. starcrafty

    starcrafty Guest

    Here's another question this thread brings up for me. Let's say I don't have a water heater or furnace, and I don't use the fridge on gas. If I properly cap the gas line to the fridge, and cap the quick disconnect fitting intended for use with the stove inside, could I safely take the regulator out-of-line, and use my original PUP stove hung on the outside as a high pressure stove? In y'all's opinion, would the orifices on the stove burners be close enough to correct size, and would the line and the outside quick disconnect fitting be strong enough? I have an '84 Starcraft with original lines and fittings, stored under a shed, but exposed for its lifetime to ambient air. What is the delta between high pressure and low pressure systems, anyway? Is it really that much? High pressure is tank pressure, right? And the regulator on your grill (barbecue to some, but I won't get into those semantics here), is it set somewhere between high(unregulated)pressure, and low(like the PUP system)pressure? Those sideburners don't seem to have a problem heating up in the wind out on the deck at home.
  15. Flyfisherman

    Flyfisherman New Member

    Propane tank pressure will run 60 to 120 psi depending on factors like outside temp and altitude. Most two stage regulators for RV's drop the pressure to 10 psi in the first stage and then down to 11" WC pressure for the main line going to the camper appliances.

    A RV stove intended for interior use, set-up for 11" WC pressure, would have to be stove jet modified in order to handle a higher pressure (say, for example, 10 psi). But no way could such a stove handle direct tank pressure without a regulator.

    Personally, I would be Leary of making a modification to the regular stove. Certainly have heard of it being done, but I think you would be better off simply buying a stove for the higher pressure with a matching regulator.
  16. starcrafty

    starcrafty Guest

    So the Coleman camp stove is operating at 60-120 psi, not the 10 psi or the 11" water column pressure(what's the other name for that unit of measurement?), is that correct? And when you say two stage regulator, are both stages contained in the regulator on the tongue, or is there a second regulator under the PUP where the main line branches to the fridge, furnace, water heater and stove?
  17. JamesRL

    JamesRL New Member

    Nov 1, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    I have a hose like the first picture in Snow's post. It works well enough. Now I wish I'd gotten the distribution tree so we could run the BBQ and stove at the same time, or we didn't have to unplug one to plug the other in. Ah well maybe this summer...
  18. Flyfisherman

    Flyfisherman New Member

    NOOOOO .... my Coleman camp stove has it's own regulator ... it drops the tank pressure down to 10 psi and the stove jets are set-up to "cook" at that pressure.

    The L/P regulator on the tongue of your camper (or mounted on the front exterior wall) is two stage/compartment device. The gas line goes from the tank and conects to the first stage compartment of the regulator which drops the pressure to 10 psi; then it goes into the second stage/compartment where the pressure is dropped down further to the 11 inches of water column pressure.
  19. starcrafty

    starcrafty Guest

    OK, now you've got me thinking correctly. The assembly right there with the main gas control valve on the Coleman is the 10psi regulator. Sometimes I don't think well if something isn't right in front of my eyes, and sometimes I just don't think well.
  20. Snow

    Snow Well-Known Member

    Jul 19, 2007
    James I'm looking at getting one of these for our set up, then I don't have to connect/disconnect the extra stove and bbq to use the other. Just need to find one cheaper then the $40 I keep seeing them going for...

Share This Page