PVC Flagpole Dog Tie Out Mod (Completed)

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Dubbya, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    We'd had enough of the tangles and knots in our dog's lead and the incessant whining, chirping and barking every time he ran out of line so I came up with a solution using a variation of a PVC flagpole mod.

The standard flagpole uses 3/4" PVC pipe but I wanted to make sure this wouldn't bend or break too easily. Even though it's just our wee Yorkie tied to it, I used 1" pipe. There's still plenty of flexibility left but it's just a lot more sturdy, particularly in the joints.

The total cost of this mod, not including the cable lead, was about $30 but I was out at the lake when I built this, so everything seems to have a "need it now tax" applied. Everything required would be much easier and cheaper to find at your local hardware store or Home Depot. The project only took about 10 minutes to build.

Materials

[list type=decimal]
    [*]1"x10' PVC pipe
    [*]1" Straight Tee fitting
    [*]1" x 45 degree elbow fitting
    [*]PVC glue
    [*]1/2"x24" Galvanized nipple (rebar, pipe or electrical conduit will work)
    [*]1/4"x2" eye screw with two nuts and washers
    [*]1/4" hitch pin
    [/list]

Tools Required:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Saw or PVC pipe cutter
    [*]Drill with 1/4" bit
    [*]1/4" wrench
    [*]Pliers
    [/list]

As in the standard PVC flagpole mod, cut the 10' pipe as follows:

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Qty: 2 x 48"
    [*]Qty: 2 x 10 -1/4"
    [/list]

The two 10-1/4" pieces facilitate removal of the slip joint from the end of the pipe as it's useless to us in this mod.

Pound the 1/2" x 24" pipe one foot into the ground as your base.

[​IMG]

Glue one 48" pipe to one end of the 45 degree elbow, then glue a 10-1/4" pipe to the other. Stand this assembly on the post you pounded into the ground.

[​IMG]

Glue the other 48" pipe to one end of the straight Tee fitting, then glue the remaining 10-1/4" pipe to the other end of the Tee to form a straight line.

[​IMG]

Drill a 1/4" hole through the "top" end of this assembly and put the eye bolt through it with washers on either end of the bolt then lock the two nuts together so that the eye bolt can swivel if it needs to. This is where we'll connect the dog's lead.

[​IMG]

Put this assembly on top of the post making sure it's fully seated inside the Tee fitting. Drill a 1/4" hole through the bottom of the Tee fitting and the pipe inside it so that you can easily slide the hitch pin through both to secure them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voila! A sturdy but flexible rotating dog tie out that's secure. Since the lead hangs down, it's much less likely to get tangled around things but still provides a large area for the dog to move around freely. I'm absolutely confident that this will hold any dog up to the size of a Cocker Spaniel.

[​IMG]

For convenience we set up two bases, one near the camper and one across the CS. If mama moves across the CS, we just pick up the flagpole and move it, clip the dog to it and he's all set. No more whining or getting tangled up.

2. Casidy

Casidy New Member

May 12, 2013
    Wow! That's great!
    Now to modify it to handle our 3yr old twins! [;)] [LOL]

3. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    [LOL] You'll want to use 3" pipe and 4" when they're 12 years old! [LOL]

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Tried this out with my brother's Scoland (Scottie/Westie cross) named Maggie. She sure put the tie out through its' paces too. No problem, the pipes were flexing like a fishing rod with a master angler channel cat on the end of it until Maggie's front legs came off the ground. Then she's just back up until she could get some traction.

She actually seemed to enjoy the freedom as opposed to being tied to the picnic table all weekend. Given that she tends to bolt to the end of her leash, running out of lead on the flagpole tie-out was more gradual and gave her a few steps to slow down before running out of line.

I pounded in one ground post at their CS and another at ours so we'd just pick up the flagpole and move it back and forth before and after meals. So handy.

5. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    if only my dogs were smaller so i could do this. mine are constantly getting tangled.

6. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I really think 1-1/2" or even 2" PVC would work perfectly for dogs up to 40 lbs. It'd cost you about the same amount as 1", so for $30, I'd definitely give it a shot. Worst case scenario, the dog pulls so hard that the pipe spins inside the fittings or the pipe folds in half.

Regardless, the stuff has so much flexibility that I seriously doubt it would break. Just apply the glue liberally to the fittings as they're what tend to want to let go first.

7. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    My dogs are 50 and 75 lbs and the larger one is strong as an ox .... So no dice.

8. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Even when they're running full tilt, once the PVC reaches it's maximum flex, their front legs come off the ground and they have to stop pulling. When that happens, the pipes straighten out and put them down quite gently.

I really think 1-1/2", would do it. Wish my sis still had her Mastiffs... I'd try it out just for giggles.