Question about AC & DC

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Aaron Bennett, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Aaron Bennett

Aaron Bennett New Member

Hello, I have a 99 camplite 10SG by Damon pup and I was wondering if I can mount my battery box on the tongue and have the battery constantly hooked up even if Im plugged into AC. The pervious owner just hooked it up when he needed 12v but I dont want to drag the battery in and out of the storage compartment. He mentioned to me to unhook the battery before plugging into AC but I dont see why I would have to do that. Wont the AC overide the DC when Im plugged in? Im pretty sure thats when the converter comes into play and converts the 120 to 12v as well as charges the battery. Please correct me if Im wrong. Im sure this sounds like a silly question, but Im new to pups. TIA

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oklahoma. You are correct. The pup is like any other trailer in that regard. I always leave my battery in one place. I plug in when shore power is available with no need to disconnect the battery.

3. Pozi

Pozi Member

I agree with what Shaman1 said above. In addition to that, leaving the battery connected will keep it charged when connected to 120v.

4. Aaron Bennett

Aaron Bennett New Member

Thank you very much for confirming. I appreciate your help!

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We ran into a problem with our MULTIPLE GP24 Interstate 12VDC batteries being left on all the time when parked at home with our OLDER POPUP trailer. It was originally using a single mode ELIXIR Converter/Charger unit and the always ON 13.6VDC resulted in over-charging my batteries and boiled out the fluids in one battery before I caught on what was happening. I was unable to bring this battery back to life... I right away replaced my single mode converter/charger unit with a multiple DC Voltage SMART MODE Converter/Charger unit... This all happened to me just 30 days after purchasing my 2008 OFF-ROAD POPUP TRAILER.

If you are using a single mode battery charger in your unit it will need you to keep a close watch on fluids around your battery in the event they are being over charged.

I also started a good maintenance schedule of observing my 12VDC OUTPUT levels on a weekly basis and never allowed my battery DC VOLTAGE to get below the 12.0 VDC level which is approximately the 50% Charge state. My remaining G24 Interstate batteries lasted until just a couple seasons ago with around six years of service with many 50% to 90% charge states camping off-grid most of the time...

Installing the SMART MODE Battery charger actually takes care of my batteries for me but I still out of habit check on them every week or so...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. Aaron Bennett

Aaron Bennett New Member

Thanks for that update! Good to know. Im now wondering if I install a On/Off switch on my battery if that will stop the converter from charging my battery. I will have to check and see what type of mode my converter is. Thanks again!

7. Shaman1

It's not likely to overcharge while you are camping. That usually happens when left charging for prolonged periods.

8. Shaman1

Overcharging is not likely to happen when you're camping. That usually happens when the battery is left charging for prolonged periods.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I leave my batteries on the tongue of my trailer... Using the DISCONNECT SWITCH saves me from having to pull any cables etc... Makes it real handy to disconnect everything to make real good battery checks etc... I use the OFF-BAT1-BOTH-BAT2 multiple position battery switch made by BLUE SEA available from AMAZON...

[​IMG]

This switch is sealed and has make before break switch contacts in it. Reduces the sparking inside the switch for longer life...

My four 12VDC Battery Bank switching looked like this.. This would give me 340 AH capacity battery bank using 4ea 85AH 12V GP24 Interstate batteries
    [​IMG]

My new battery looks like this using two groups of two GC2 6V batteries in series,,, This will give me 450 AHs capacity using 6v GC2 225AH batteries. Using the cheaper BATTERY PLUS GOLF CART Batteries I can get 430AHs using 215AH GC2 6V batteries

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

My multiple batteries are installed across the top of my tongue area...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image...

My new battery bank is in a diamond plate battery box with slide off lid...
    Looks like this and will fit in the same welded on rails across the tongue under the batteries above..

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Aaron Bennett likes this.