Question About Antifreeze In Fresh Water Tank

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Camping Out 22, Oct 26, 2012.

  1. Camping Out 22

    Camping Out 22 New Member

    Sep 11, 2012
    I recently purchased a 2009 Flagstaff 206ST, and have a question about winterizing the water pump side of the system (I have no hot water heater, outside or inside shower or toilet). There is no room to access the water pump or water tank line to introduce antifreeze. Is it feasible to pour antifreeze into the fresh water holding tank, and then run the water pump until I see pink at the kitchen faucet. After I do this, can I then flush the residual antifreeze from the tank with fresh water as long as I dont turn on the water pump again until de-winterizing (so the antifreeze won't absorb into the tank plastic over the winter and cause future taste issues)? Considering that my water tank is 12 gallons, how many gallons of antifreeze should it require for the pump to pick it up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. rawlus

    rawlus New Member

    Jul 24, 2011
    Are you saying you cannot access the pump at all? Typically you would unscrew the inlet to the pump, put a valves tee in there with a pickup hose, put that hose in your gallon of antifreeze and turn on the pump to fill the lines.

    If this is impossible you can put a few gallons of antifreeze into the holding tank and pump it into the lines. The tank can be drained after this action. How many gals to reach the pickup and fill the lines is difficult to know for your particular situation but if you know where the pickup is you can elevate the camper to get as much liquid near that pickup without having to fill the whole layer of tank, if that makes sense.
  3. Nascar Fan

    Nascar Fan Active Member

    Nov 18, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Run the antifreeze until you see pink and you are good to go. Leave it until spring and then dewinterize. You then drain all the antifreeze and flush the system. We usually run the system with fresh water and sanitize the tank with a cup of bleach per 20 gallons of water. Some may differ, but that is what we do and never had a problem. We generally get about 5 gallons of antifreeze because we have a water heater.
  4. Camping Out 22

    Camping Out 22 New Member

    Sep 11, 2012
    So are the stories untrue that RV Antifreeze can leach into the plastic water tank and permanently affect the taste of the water even after removed?
  5. Buttermilk

    Buttermilk New Member

    May 6, 2012
    I just put one gallon in my water tank and ran the pump until pink came out the faucet then closed everything up for the winter. I think I have a 10 gal tank. You may need more then a gallon for the pump to pick it up.
  6. ghacker

    ghacker New Member

    Nov 8, 2009
    If you install a bypass value on the water heater, you'll knock that down to less than a gallon.
  7. ghacker

    ghacker New Member

    Nov 8, 2009
    There is an aftertaste after using antifreeze but flushing with water and sanitizing will eliminate it. It also helps to blow out the lines after you run the antifreeze through the system. Very little is left in the system to sit all winter. In fact many don't bother with antifreeze and just blow out the lines although personally I blow the lines, use antifreeze, blow the lines. Blowing out the lines alone will not take care of the water pump and filter if you have one.

    Also I do not use antifreeze in the water tanks, either the main tank or WH tank. I drain them as much as possible and leave the drains open while I drive the garage where I store the PUP over the winter. By the time I get there very little water is left it the tanks and there's plenty of room for expansion of any ice that forms.
  8. Mr_Custom

    Mr_Custom Member

    Jul 14, 2006
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    I am not sure but suspect that RV Antifreeze may leave a smell/tast if left in the the tank or in the piping. You would need to do a significant flush with bleach and some have also used vinegar.

    I crawl under the camper and disconnect the pump feed line from the tank. Then I immerse that line in a jug of pink stuff and suck it up into the plumbing. Uses about a 1/3 of a gallon.
  9. Unstable_Tripod

    Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

    May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    The first (and only) time I ever used antifreeze I had to flush the tank and lines, sanitize with a bleach water solution, flush that, run a vinegar water solution through, flush that and then repeat that whole process a couple more times to get rid of the HORRIBLE, SICKENING taste and smell. I vowed to never use antifreeze again and I haven't. Now I just drain the system and blow it out.
  10. haroldpe

    haroldpe Campin' Engineer

    Mar 21, 2004
    Adamsville, MI
    I will never put pink AF in my tank again, for reasons above. When I drained the AF that arrived with my new pup, it killed a large section of grass (10'x20')! So, not exactly non-toxic to everything. I installed my bypass valve on the outside, at the tank outlet. Simple unscrew and screw back in. Can you do this??

  11. BajaPup

    BajaPup New Member

    Apr 19, 2012
    After reading your advice, I split the difference. I drained and blew all of the water out of the system I could, charged the system with Super Tech RV & Marine Antifreeze, then let the antifreeze drain out. I figure that whatever remaining antifreeze is trapped in the system isn't going to hurt anything, and I'd rather not spend time cracking fittings to chase down whatever water I didn't blow out. I suppose the antifreeze might help preserve seals better, too.

    To me, Walmart's Finest doesn't taste or smell horrible from the jug, but I may not feel the same way in the spring. :)
  12. raymonk

    raymonk New Member

    May 13, 2011
    Check out my video on pop up winterization, on this forum under winterization. This might help.
  13. Mickeyrv

    Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

    Jul 22, 2012
    [TV] [HYC] There are a number of by pass valve systems in use on campers today. I have a clear plastic hose about 30 inches long. it is connected to a shut off valve and teed into the line from the tank to the inlet of the water pump. I put the tube in a gallon of RV pink AF and open the valve which also closes the connection to the tank. I turn the pump on and then run the pink stuff Thur the water lines and fill the u traps in the shower and sink. This takes the whole gallon and none of the pink stuff gets into my water tank. I then drain my water tank using the under camper drain and leave that valve open all winter. In the spring I run fresh water Thur the system and all the pink stuff goes into the grey water tank, I empty that at the first dumping station I use in the spring. You should be able to purchase this kit for a small amount of money at almost any camper supply store.

Share This Page