Question about ice makers

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by HappyTraveler, Jun 6, 2019.

1. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Hi All!
    Wondering if anyone that has one of those counter top ice makers uses it to keep their ice chest/cooler cold, so they don't have to buy bags of ice?

Not necessarily this particular make or model, but something along these lines for the counter top ice maker: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidai...5&wl11=local&wl12=366107715&wl13=2355&veh=sem

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I have a magic Chef. Makes ice well but doesn't store it.

3. TRR

TRR Active Member

We have one. We use it to make ice to put in our insulated water bottles. However the ice it makes isn't very cold. It's just under the freezing point so it wouldn't last long in a cooler. By contrast, ice that's been hard frozen will do a much better job in a cooler.

kitphantom and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have one and love it, It keeps my cooler full of ice and I usually give ice away when i leave the CG. Mine makes 21 lbs of cubes a day.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I use an old mini cooler in my big chest freezer at home to make solid blocks of clear ice. It lasts a LOT longer

6. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We have one, I believe it's a Magic Chef. About the only time we use it is when we camp with the kids & their kids, then there's generally several coolers to keep ice going for.

7. HappyTraveler

That's what I was wondering.

Since we're long time tent campers, we never had power on site, so have the big Coleman Xtreme cooler. A few days before we leave, I'll fill two of these 32 qt tall plastic containers with water and freeze them to make the big blocks of ice. I'll also freeze what foods I can to put in the cooler and pre-chill the cooler with ice from our ice maker here at home before we pack it. Those blocks of ice can last a week or longer in this cooler! After that, we buy the bags of ice and put those in the 32 qt plastic containers to keep the water contained as it melts, but those bags of ice cubes only last a few days.

The ones I've been looking at gave the 21 lbs/day production; which would certainly keep the cooler full!

I'm also wondering about the 3-way fridge now that we're getting the HW pup. I'm wondering if I could just use that to freeze the water in my 32 qt plastic containers? Don't have the NTU pup yet (picking it up this weekend :) ), so have no idea if those containers will even fit, or if I can get the fridge cold enough to even freeze the water.
    Anyone have thoughts on that?

8. HappyTraveler

Exactly!
    Back in the day, it seems like we used to be able to buy blocks of ice at the same places you could buy cubes. Last time we saw blocks of ice was in AZ a couple of winters ago; and that was only at select gas stations. They were harder to find than hens teeth!

This past winter, we were down in the Great State of Texas in February and March, so not "hot" yet, but warm enough. We were able to buy dry ice at the local grocery store and used that to re-freeze the water in a smaller cooler, which we put inside the bigger cooler. However, the dry ice gets kind of spendy, too.
    With the solid ice block frozen at the bottom of the smaller cooler, we kept the stuff that has to be kept COLD, i.e. like our heavy whipping cream for coffee. The salad stuff was kept outside the smaller cooler, but inside the bigger cooler with the 32-qt containers filled with the bags of ice cubes.

9. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

Can you say what brand and model yours is? I definitely plan on getting one.

HappyTraveler and Nani2 like this.
  10. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Mine is a Magic Chef MCIM22W. Makes ice well, but since it doesn't store ice you have to be available to "dump" it. It says it will make 27# a day, but I've never tested it for that much.

11. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We have one similar to that, can't remember the brand. We love it! It's definitely our favorite camping luxury item. We use it for ice for water bottles and drinks. Ours makes little bullet-shaped cubes and you can choose small or large (the large are still pretty small). They work great for drinks. Probably wouldn't last too long in a cooler. Ours also does not keep the ice cubes frozen once they are made. If you don't use them, they sit in a basket with holes inside the ice maker and melt and the water drips right back in to the reservoir.

Another idea that we use is a plug-in electric cooler. We use it for our meats and dairy because I don't trust our camper fridge to keep them cold enough. The cooler is nice because we have one plug that we can use to plug in to a cigarette lighter in our TV. Then another plug to plug it in inside the camper when we arrive. This works well for us because in our PUP, you cannot open the door when the PUP is closed down. So we don't have access to the fridge unless we unlatch it and crank it up a little. The electric cooler stays very cold!

Here is one similar to ours:
    https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-40369-...ectric+cooler&qid=1559830801&s=gateway&sr=8-3

12. HappyTraveler

I've looked at these and they do look very convenient; that would even work in the back of my van b/c there's a cigarette lighter plug back there (think it was for using the little hand vacuum that came with the conversion). It looks like this comes in either a 26 qt or 28 qt size. I also notice that it says it keeps things inside about 36 degrees colder than the outside temperature; so if it gets down to 50 degrees at night, then it could get down to 14 degrees inside, well below freezing. A couple of nights on our trip, temps dropped into the 40s overnight, but most nights was in the 50s.

Kind of spoiled with my 150 qt size coleman cooler; even with the two 32 qt tall plastic containers for the ice, there's still a ton of room in there for all our other food stuff. Even another cooler! Fills up the whole back of my van, but still plenty of room in the rest of the van for all our other stuff. Especially now that it's just the two of us.

Something to think about, for sure.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I was interesting in getting an Ice Maker to help out when camping off grid. I too was worried the freeze would not be a hard freeze and the cubes would not last very long...

Great for instant use but not so go good filling up my COLEMAN five day ice chest perhaps...

When we hit the off-grid camping ICE is the first thing we run out of...

Then we have to go back to town somewhere and fill up the ice chest again... Was hoping those ice makers would help me out here haha...

Of course going to the store every three days is not all that bad. Then we stock up on soft drinks and more fresh meats... Also I always note where these places are at when we are getting close to our planned camping site...

The other problem is of course there is usually only the wife and myself so it becomes a big question does someone stay at the camp site or do we both go into town and leave a bunch of items still setup at the camp site... I have never lost anything when camping but it is a big issue on what to do at times...

Packing up everything is not out of the question as I have containers and room to haul them...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. HappyTraveler

Yeah, the block ice I make at home lasts the longest, then after that, it's an every couple of days event to get more ice.
    Going into town isn't the worse thing; but since I'm not much of a shopper, would rather avoid it as much as possible and just stock up on foodstuff less often. Luckily, we're pretty simple eaters and not much variety in the beverage department, coffee, water, beer. So just need to keep a few basic things cold and the longer the better. ;)

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Dw and I went camping with friends that had one early this year. Afterward, we had to have one. We been camping now 30 nights this year with about 20 nights with the ice maker. 10 of those in hot FL. Don't know how we did it without an ice maker.

16. HappyTraveler

And you used the ice maker to keep ice in the cooler?
    What kind of ice maker did you end up going with?

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I think one company makes these and are just reskined for different retail companies. Internals are the same. We got one from Aldi's last week and I've played with it. It's very basic. Nine Freon cooled fingers in a pool of water. Reversing valve to heat fingers to drop "cubes" (really cup shaped), but does not store frozen cubes. Cubes are raked into a basket, which is above the water reservoir. As cubes melt, they are recycled. You get about a gallon bag of cubes out of one filling of the reservoir. As stated above, it is warm ice and does not last long. But it makes it fast, dumping every 8 to 9 minutes.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Chef tested Icg401-cb-ssred

CarlaCB and HappyTraveler like this.
  19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I think the one I have is an Igloo. I don't use it to put ice in a cooler, only for drinks. As others have stated, the ice is soft, and doesn't last too long in a cooler. If you are vigilant though and keep dumping into the cooler it might be OK.

I don't use ice in coolers anymore. I hate everything getting wet when it melts. I have a couple Ozarka 1 gal water jugs that I will freeze before a trip. They work well, but do take up space, although you have nice cold water to drink as they melt. I also have some ice bricks that I got with my son's medication. They last a while with a good cooler, and do a great job but are only suited for a weekend type trip, since you have to refreeze them to use again.

Most of the time I use an electric cooler and my trucker fridge. The cooler is an Igloo brand I think, very similar in size to the Coleman powerchill. It works OK but is not great in super hot weather. I plug it in outside the camper in the shade of the awning and just keep drinks in it. Seems to be good for that. My onboard fridge works well for most other food and drink but I cannot access it when the roof is down.

I have a hybrid trucker fridge from Koolatron. It is similar to a dorm fridge, but uses the same system as a powered cooler with the addition of a refrigerant line that works just like a camper fridge. I keep it plugged in at home for a couple days to cool it down and load it, then transfer to my car and plug it in the rear 12V port. Once I am set up I plug it into a 110V outlet inside the camper, where it sits on the counter opposite the galley. I really like it, but I wish it was more of an ice chest design instead. Seriously looking at getting a 12V compressor fridge unit like a Dometic or ARB, but they are expensive.

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ive been looking at them also. Basicly, musterds, ketchup, drinks go in the pop up fridge. Food stays in the cooler. I wrap or Tupperware the food so it dosent get soaked. Or by stuff thats packaged in plastic allready. I fill the coller with ice, too much because i use it for drinks also. This may solve a need but what one? Lol. Another gadget to winder about.