Question about ice makers

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by HappyTraveler, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

( as amazon delivery guy comes to door with more crap i desperately need for camping......lol)

2. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Yeah, hate having stuff in the cooler floating around. And keeping everything in zipper bags doesn't work all that well. Which is why we ended up with such a huge cooler. It needed to be big enough to have enough ice to keep things cold longer than a day. So big enough to hold the containers that we put the ice in (with the lids) and all the food. Keeping the ice in the containers has cut down on the watery mess considerably; I'd say 98%. We now have little to no water at the bottom of the cooler. What water is there is probably from condensation, honestly.
    We've also switched it around and kept the food stuff in the containers and put the ice cubes around them in the cooler, too. That works pretty well also, especially if we need to keep something really cold.

This last winter, we bought a case of bottled spring water and left it in the garage for a couple of days. All 32 bottles froze solid (one of the advantages of living in the frosty North ;) ), so we ended up using that in the cooler too. Added benefit, as they melted they didn't get water all over the place and were wonderfully cold to drink!

Question about the PUP fridge; can it get cold enough to freeze the water in one of those larger containers? That way I could just keep making my own block ice and rotating that around.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Ours will turn into a freezer when we cut it all the way down, so we can make ice. It also freezes the tea, milk, chicken salad, and pimento cheese

Sjm9911, HappyTraveler and CarlaCB like this.
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Generally not. Mine won't and I keep it on the coldest setting. Some of the HW pups might have a small freezer compartment, and of course all full size trailers will have a freezer compartment. Then again mine is 20 years old and has no fan mods or anything, and I run it off 110 instead of propane.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

For me, top priority is keeping the weight of the trailer down to a minimum to save strain on my tow vehicle. My camper has no fridge and I don't intend to add one. Being able to make ice as I need it makes a lot more sense to me than packing a huge cooler with enough ice to keep everything cold and to use in drinks. (It's hot here - I use a lot of ice in drinks.) If I had a separate source of ice for drinks, I could use only frozen bottles of water in the cooler and avoid the melting ice/floating food problem. Since I have no battery and no propane, I'll always be camping on electric sites. So it's a no-brainer for me. I just ordered one based on the comments in this thread.

Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

That's just criminal! ;)

I'm thinking we probably won't be using the PUP fridge to keep food stuff in; so if we did us it, it would be as a freezer, if we can fit some sort of block ice container in there.
    Of course, things may change and we may end up using the fridge for it's intended purpose. Right now, it just seems to small to hold much and would still have to have the cooler for the rest of the food anyway. idk.

CarlaCB likes this.
  7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Not sure DW bought it on Amazon. She said it starts with a T. Currently using it. Do I don't want to turn it over.

No we use the popup fridge. Ice is only for drinks. I'm not sure I would want keep up with a large cooler.

8. bheff

bheff Active Member

The best $650 I ever spent was on an ARB fridge freezer. Not a cruddy Coleman