Question for you techies...

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by bheff, May 18, 2019.

1. bheff

bheff Active Member

How do you put movies into your tablets?
    We are exclusively Samsung and have several tablets and a whole cabinet full of movies. I would like to be able to copy them onto my tablets.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Idk. I would think that your provider could tell you that. I have no use for such a service. Sorry.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We don't go to camp to watch movies either. I'd guess someone here might be able help with that.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The only way I know is only when the movie you have came with a free digital version. Usually involves installing their software then putting your code in to claim the digital copy. I’ve also can download free movies via Netflix on my tablet. Unless you have a lot of disk space on your tablet, I find only a couple movies will be your limit, depending on the movie.

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The easiest way is to download digital versions, but get a big SD card they take a lot of space.

6. davido

davido Active Member

What you're talking about is ripping from DVD to a DRM-free format that would allow you to play back without the original disc. This process is a little tricky, and in my opinion not really worth the effort. It's much easier to buy the movie through a service that will allow you to download it. Amazon offers this service on some titles: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201460820

Netflix also allows for device download of some titles. You can search the Internet for ways to legally download digital versions of movies. There are a lot of options, and these options take all the ripping / transcoding pain out of the process.

If you're set on using the DVDs you currently have, you can pick up a portable player starting around $100, which may be cheaper than buying digital copies of everything you want to watch that you already own.

DVDs are expressly not supposed to be ripped, so the process of doing it is difficult, and not assured to even work. Welcome to digital rights management.

7. BillyMc

Another option is a laptop with a DVD drive.

8. davido

davido Active Member

This is true, however since laptops with DVD drives are becoming harder to find unless you go to larger gaming laptops, the solution could be to purchase a USB DVD drive to plug into a laptop. But DVD drives consume a lot of power relative to the rest of a modern laptop, so battery life will probably be terrible. But it certainly is an option, particularly if you have a power source available. USB DVD drives start around $20 on Amazon.

9. BillyMc

Have had three of them, they all died an early death. It doesn't take much of a laptop to watch DVDs. I have an old Pentium III running Linux one of the grandsons uses to play them on. Battery life isn't great anymore, but if you're camping with hookups it doesn't matter much.

10. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

If you are buying digital (iTunes, Amazon, etc) they each have their own program to use

or just use plex player

11. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Google DVD ripper as you can backup all your DVD collection to a laptop or desktop legally. After ripping them convert to MKV files that are only 1-2 GB and you can watch them on your smartphone or tablet. Find a DVD ripper that is reputable and that will convert your ISO "Ripped Files" to MKV Files.

seldomseen380 likes this.
  12. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Bearman for the Win !!

Look on Amazon, there are all sorts of ripping / copying software for under $50 bucks

Yeah, Some of Us like to go Camping to Relax. And Sometimes Relaxing Consists of some Microwave Popcorn, a Cold Beer, and Watching a Movie...

No Need to Suck Water from a Stone, or Take a Dump in a Hole You Dug in the Woods, Unless That Is Your Idea of Relaxing... [Guitar]

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yup, that's it.

14. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

MakeMKV is free. Handbrake can rip. No need to pay!

15. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

I use both and they work great. It is even easier when I us my Linux box quicker rip and then there are a bunch of freeware MKV converters in the Linux software vault.

16. BillyMc

No microwave, Jiffypop!

17. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Ha Ha Ha...
    Now Your Gettin' It...[8D]

18. generok

generok Well-Known Member

DVD ripping is always a grey area. To be safe, only rip DVDs you yourself physically own. I used to use DVDFab, and you have to keep updating the rippers to get around newer or different anti-ripping features. I did this a lot for deployments so I could load movies on to a USB hard drive and watch them on laptops in my tent or hut.

Bottom line, it's a REAL pain and it takes a long time. I solidly agree... connect the tablet to WiFi and use a downloadable content service like Netflix or Amazon Prime (I think Hulu does downloading now but you have to buy the service level). I've got an old Samsung Tab 4 we use for this very purpose. I have about 20 full length movies downloaded on it. I crank the quality down to reduce file size. All that is stored on the internal memory only. I have a 64GB SD card somewhere, but 20 movies is enough for me. If you go with the tablet route, also get yourself some powered speakers. Listening out of the tiny tablet speakers requires high volume so it screams at you. A small BT or wired speaker set really helps.

Good luck.