Question on driving new pop up in the rain

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nerissa30346, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

Towed our NTU PUP home in a rainstorm. Dry and toasty the next day. Put his big boy pants on and show him the zipper. [LOL]

2. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Tell him to bring a blow dryer with him and to dry it off as soon as you are set up. Offer to watch from a lawn chair with a beverage to make sure he gets everywhere dry.

In all seriousness, we have driven through torrential downpours and never had an issue.

3. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Yet another voice - no problem whatsoever with driving a new pop up in the rain. Rot will usually occur when water gets in from the outside on a long term basis, and is allowed to sit.

4. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

Like everyone said, it's a camper, meant to be outside, in the elements. I've got a 94 Jayco that's been outside all the time and it's in great shape. Tell him to go out and have some fun :) Happy camping [:D]

Tex

5. nerissa30346

nerissa30346 New Member

[8D] [8D] [8D] [CP]

Finally went camping this weekend, very impromptu, left on Saturday afternoon and spent one night at Terrora State Park in Ga. Quite an experience, and only light drizzle on and off on Saturday.

We were able to have a campfire and had taken some tacos we made for lunch to eat for dinner.

Slept quite well and used the shower/toilet in the camper. The campground bathroom was very clean and close, but I wanted to try out the shower in our camper. Actually only used 3 to 4 gallons of water for both of us to shower, we did quite well I thought for such newbies.

Sunday morning we made pancakes, eggs and toast for breakfast. Tasted glorious outside, quite a beautiful, cool morning in the GA mountains. Sunday was glorious and we went hiking to see the Tallulah Gorge, spectacular scenery.

Had a great time, now hubby wants to go camping next weekend, even if its showing 60% chance of rain [LOL].

6. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

you've won this battle.............now onto the next one.
    good luck and glad to hear you finally went camping.
    enjoy the PUP's!

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

congrats are in order
    I drove through heavy rainstorm one day and desert the next day... with my 1996 coleman keywest... its fine.

8. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I have towed our pup in heavy rain especially here in the Pacific wet coast...yes I said wet, always aired it out after each trip. I also parked it under a shelter on gravel. Parking in a garage would have been ideal but I did not have a garage at that time when I owned the pup. I have never had a issue with moisture damage. As long as you are not storing it on grass. My pup was 18 yrs old when we traded it in on our TT and was in very good condition. I could have gotten a premium price if I had sold it privately...but I negotiated such a great deal on the TT that it pretty much balanced it out. Just do the regular maintenance and make sure it is aired out and it will be fine. At least you have a garage for it to dry out in.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Campers are meant to be out in the weather.

Our previous pup was a 1984 Palomino Shetland. When we sold it, at the beginning of the 2012 season, the floor (not sealed) was in excellent condition, and it had been exposed to rain, hail and what-all. We'd owned it since about 2000, and it had always lived outside during that time. When we renovated it in 2010, the only water damage in the floor was where there had been a long-term leak in a tail light, that drained into a corner under one of the storage benches. It was near the frame, so not easy for air to circulate underneath, and impossible for it to circulate in the bench. (We'd always thought the funky smell was just the "camper odor", but found mildew in the back wall, and the floor damage when we disassembled things.)

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Just add mud flaps to the TV and pup and you'll be fine.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This is the silliest worry ever, but you knew that before you posted, lol.

RV's were made to handle various weather conditions. You can't control when it rains so they wouldn't build a trailer that can't handle that.

12. mjsny

mjsny Member

Your dh husband wouldn't have liked getting in & out of the campground I just returned from. If you want to get to the campground you have to drive through a stream.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]