[QUESTION] Weatherproof Power Cord Cable Hatch

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Ian Worthington, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ian Worthington

Ian Worthington New Member

May 21, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Y'all!

I'm wondering if there's a way to (as much as one can) weatherproof the power cord hatch?

On our '99 Niagara, the hatch just has this star-cut ring. My wife is worried about the bugs coming in at night. I'm more worried about rain getting in.

Have any of you come up with a solution?

[​IMG]

2. shaune509

shaune509 Member

Aug 13, 2014
    spokane wa
    Yours is missing the lid. The one on my pup has a top hinged lid with a sliding section that allows the cord to fit after the cord end is pulled out, or fully closed in transport. Its not weather tight but gives some protection.
    Shaune509

3. Ian Worthington

May 21, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry, I used this as an example. I do have a cover on mine and it does provide a good amount of enclosure.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I replaced mine with a park power unit. No more cramming it back in through that hole.

In my case the original port had broken free from the rear of the camper. On mine it is just a fiberglass shell in that area and it was damaged to the point that drilling additional holes for a fresh set of anchors would have been problematic. A park power socket allowed me to sandwich it into place and it is a better solution anyway. Cost was about $80 for the kit and maybe another $10 for a 4 foot section of power cord as I wanted to maximize the length of my main cord and not cut a section off to run the power from the socket to the converter.

5. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    Never had a problem with these. Bugs may be able to get in, but it's a separate compartment that the cord is stored, so they're not getting inside the camper itself. And rain, as long as you have the cover properly on it and closed, you shouldn't have any problems.

6. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

Jul 7, 2016
    I'm a little late to the party.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ian Worthington likes this.
  7. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    even later than you....
    I chose to ditch the 30 amp cord as overkill for our need, and mounted a recessed 15 amp plug behind an expanding cover.
    On the road the cover projects less than 1/2 inch from the wall (about as much as the wheel arch trim).
    When the socket of my cord is connected the cover pops off to reveal a bellows to maintain drip-tight connection.
    For those sites that might have 30 amp service only I have a 30 plug to 15 socket, and a 15 amp fused jumper/extension to limit how much power could be available to the PUP.

100_1793.JPG 100_1793.JPG 100_1794.JPG

Attached Files:

Ian Worthington likes this.
  8. Ian Worthington

May 21, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice! Do you happen to have part & ordering info on that recessed plug? Thanks!

9. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Late once again.

Actually I used a 230Volt plug setup I got off of Ebay. If you are going to do something similar I would suggest using the correct 120 volt NEMA plug and socket combo. The reason I used the L6-30P/R?? combo was for cost reasons. Found them cheap.

You might try searching for a L5 or L14 style socket and plug.

10. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    My older PUP just needed a 15 amp service, & I didn't like the open port /w long cord that had to be stuffed back in the hole, so I used one of these to replace the long cord & port:

s-l500.jpg

Now I just use a standard extension cord to plug in.

11. megcabra

megcabra Member

Attached Files:

12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Same here. I see no reason to replace the original hinged lid. I've never had bugs or rain enter my pup through this and I have camped in some pretty big storms.

13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Yeah I think this thread is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. The rest of the pup isn't airtight and there are other places bugs can get in, most notably the front door when you're entering and leaving the pup. Probably the least likely place is the cord hatch door. Also no significant water is going to get in through a standard cord hatch unless you take a pressure washer right up to it.