Rainbow Campground (Big Lake Rec. Area)

Discussion in 'National Parks, Forests and ACOE Campgrounds' started by Aguaski, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Aguaski

Aguaski New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Anthem, AZ
    Does anyone know the status of the Big Lake recreation area campgrounds following the Wallow fire? I am thinking about checking out this area during Labor Day weekend. I have found limited status reports on the web. The few bits of information indicate that Big Lake was indeed in the path of the fire, but the fire crews were able to be successful at saving most of the campgrounds. Hoping that someone can give a first hand report on the status. The link below is the only shred of information I have been able to find.

http://www.rrmofa.com/WallowFireImpact.html

2. AZemptynesters

AZemptynesters Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    The campgrounds at Big Lake are all open. We have booked a campsite for the days following Labor Day at Apache Trout Campground. If you are on Facebook, you might want to check out Recreation Resource Management or Big Lake pages. This area was not hit as bad by the Wallow Fire. The RRM page has a number of photos of the area including the East and West forks of the Black River.

Dan

3. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Jul 19, 2011