Rallies

Discussion in 'General Rally Info' started by RABID59, Jan 9, 2014.

1. RABID59

RABID59 Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I understand what a rally is, but my question. What is expected of you what do you need to bring.....?

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Depends on the rally. I haven't been to a PUP rally, but have been to other ones. The ones I've attended usually have a pot luck one of the nights. If you attend you are expected to bring a dish with you that would feed your family, but most tend to bring much more of that dish. The pot lucks are planned at different levels. I mean that I've been to true pot lucks where nobody knows what anyone else is bringing. And I've been to very organized pot lucks where a coordinator keeps track of what everyone is bringing and let people know if there's too much or not enough of anything.

Beyond that, nothing is really required. If you are a very private person, you could attend and nobody would even know you were there. Of course that negates the entire reason for attending.

Bring your camper and whoever you camp with. That's really all that's required. Meet the people you've been talking to online. Have some great conversation. Have a couple adult or non-adult beverages. Have a great time.

3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    Depends on who hosts the rally. When i host i only plan a meet and great on Friday night and a potluck on Saturday night. Since everyone has different likes i try not to plan the entire weekend. plus i try to have a place where people can enjoy there weekend. This year i am working on a float down the river that runs next to the campground for those people who have a canoe or kayak. I have some people who just came to the potluck dinner ate and left then had some people come and was hung out at all the time.

4. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Nov 21, 2010
    North Carolina
    I agree with everything Fritz said. [CP]

5. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    I have been to one, we had a great time. As others have stated, there is no pressure or expectations on anything. We enjoyed the potluck, and one of the other members brought their guitar and sang songs around the campfire (sounds cliche I know) but we had a great time. We had plenty of time to geocache on our own and explore the area. Lots of fun to be had and meet some of the people you 'know' from the portal. (even though you mom told you to never meet the people you talk to on the internet. [:O])

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    1st off Welcome to the Portal from Polk County.
    The 3 Portal Rallies we attended have been were an absolute blast, and have met some great folks.
    All had planned out list of what folks were bringing to the pot luck dinner, and requests for other things like tarps and tables.
    That's a nice feature so you don't make 30Lbs of potato salad for 20 people, or every one bring mac and cheese...
    For the next gathering we are attending, everyone's pitching in stuff for a Low country boil.
    Other things to bring, games, instruments.

Read some of the Rally threads, The CU@the Sewer Rally was our last one http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=417.0

7. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    A Smile [:D]

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I've been to three and will attend two more this year. As others mentioned, the main "event" is the pot luck dinner, usually followed by a big bonfire. Some rallies organize a few campground activities (no requirement to participate) but the rallies I've attended were very informal. Some time was spent with people just walking around, visiting each others campsites, introducing themselves, chatting, etc. In many cases people go do something during the day, just like they would on any camping trip. This may or may not be with other Portal members. The "flow" of the event depends in part on how many people attend and what activities are available nearby. This year our Washington Summer Outing rally is near Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument so I'm sure that many people will spend a day there. My suggestion is that Portal members attend at least one rally -- they're fun!

9. skiball

skiball New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    We will be attending our first ralley this Summer to Cook Forrest in Nowth Western Pa. I don't know what to expect either. I just want to go camping.

10. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Mar 21, 2004
    Adamsville, MI
    Like all said: a dish for the pot luck, a chair to carry to the host site, and beverage of your choice usually covers it. A great opportunity to meet new friends in a low key environ.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The ones I've attended were very informal. As others have said, the potluck is usually the main group event. The Rallies have been a great chance to meet folks from the Portal, as well as excuses to visit an area new to us (e.g. the CO Flat Tops in '12, the upcoming one near Telluride) or revisit a favorite one.

12. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Oct 25, 2012
    I have been to a couple. The Springfield RV show is just that, a show, we meet at a specific time and place to see where everyone is, then when the day is over we go eat at a restaurant. I real nice time was had last year. Some stay over at a local hotel. I may do that this time.

The other one was a rally in southeastern MA. It was pot luck on the second night. I had issues so I could only make 1 night of the 4. For us, we spent the day walking around the campsite and looking at the other rigs and meeting new folks and the rest of the popup folks. The potluck was great and we all ate to our hearts content. we swapped stories and hobbies and such and had a bunch of laughs. I had the brightest site in the place as I displayed some on my lanterns :D

They are a lot of fun and are what you make of them. Its a great place to meet some amazing folks and share war stories and tall tales. Oh and camping, I forgot camping too

Jerry in MA

13. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
  14. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    I've attended 2 rallies and have three on this years calendar so far. friar may be biased since the group from Michigan are totally FUN [LOL] [LOL]. They do both coordinated events and then the basics.

I enjoy meeting the folks I "know" from the portal and putting faces to screen names-- many times they fit [LOL] [:O] [LOL] [LOL]

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Rabid...ditto ditto ditto on what everyone has said so far! [A]

I pretty much follow HVAC's pattern. I 'coordinate' the Saturday night potluck...everyone brings a dish. We usually end up with 3-4 meats, and ALL kinds of sides. Don't ask about the desserts. You'll gain 8 pounds just reading about them. [}:)] People come in from Wed to Fri, so you sort of meet 'em as they come! When the DOs come out, just go get your fork, spoon, bib and beverage and just sit there. Desserts will just come flying out at cha!! [LOL] [LOL]

I host my Fall See Ya @ the Sewer 2014 Rally in Wilkesboro, NC every October. You can check out the photos by finding them in the Rally section. Gee, don't have my own link marked. DOH!

Go to as many as you can 'afford' to!! You'll meet different folks from all walks and age. [A]

[:D]

16. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Don't forget the NC Spring Rally
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=472.0

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks, Darrin. An oversight on my part!! The Spring NC Really is just around the corner and looks to be a good one again.

But other than bringing food, some rallies have games, gift exchanges & lots of stuff to do in the area of the rally. Location can make a difference in activities too.

Sent from my Droid Maxx while NOT driving!

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    A few sites still available to june rally at cooks forest. Need two more to become official

19. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Aug 5, 2012
    I can't seem to find any info on any Rallies in SC. Does anyone know if there are any?
    Other than the "KMSP GATHERING" I don't see any SC campers getting together.

20. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Careful pup-n-stuff... here in the Midwest, he who suggests a rally usually ends up as Wagonmaster! [:D]