Ready to camp in Brooklyn?

Discussion in 'National Parks, Forests and ACOE Campgrounds' started by CalKat, Jun 17, 2011.

1. CalKat

CalKat Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Washington state
    Read the other day that the National Park Service is developing camp sites at an old airport in Brooklyn. Floyd Bennett Field, an old airstrip once used by Amelia Earhart, is being convert to accommodate up to possibly 600 campsites.

An open fire under the stars, and the New York City skyline. [CP]

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    The old airfield is perhaps best remembered for the flight of Douglas Carrigan in 1938. He had planned a solo flight to Ireland but was denied permission. He then filed to fly to California and somehow had a navigation problem and ended up in Ireland anyway. He is known to history as "Wrong Way Carrigan."

I saw the article and think it's great news.

3. theraceshop

theraceshop Belchertown, MA

May 20, 2008
    Belchertown, Ma
    You know what the first thing to come to mind when I read this post was this video - The Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn

I can picture my family with this song blasting in the back of the TV as we head out to the camp Brooklyn! [LOL] [LOL]

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Hmmm, it is in a remote area with a huge flat grassy section. Should be interesting.

5. CalKat

CalKat Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Washington state
    I didn't know that, Travelhoveler. I always love hearing historical facts about places.

I have old ears Theraceshop, so it was hard to understand what they were singing although I did get refrain of no sleep till Brooklyn. Funny parody of the rock shows I used to go to. Equipment smashing made me think of the Who. Crazy times.

6. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Dec 16, 2008
    Chester County PA
    Are there any campgrounds close to Manhatten? This could be a gold mine if this turns out to be the closest campground to NYC. Think about all of the Scout troops and other campers that would love to see the city.

7. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    I don't know if I would want to pull a trailer through any part of NYC and I took drivers ed down there too.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Actually you are not driving thru the city, you are on highways. Your going thru Staten Island and over the Verazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway. I'll tell ya going over the Verazano is $$$$$ with a trailer. The Belt Parkway can be hairy at times as well, be there done that (without a trailer).

But yes, it will be interesting since it would be the closest CG to NYC. I wonder how they will handle security???

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    That is exactly the same thought I had when I saw the OP. It would seem to me that a 10' fence with concertina wire on top would be needed as well as a gate manned 24/7, security cameras everywhere and armed guards on constant patrol.

10. ambulancetech

ambulancetech New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Now I have another reason to some modding: Neon under my Pup, spinners on my wheels and a loud booming stereo. [LOL]

11. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    What? No hydraulics?

12. ambulancetech

ambulancetech New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    If I ever make a trip to SoCal I could get them installed right after I get my Van Dutch pinstriping. [:D]

13. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

14. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Mar 10, 2010
    This would be pretty cool but mass transit to that area of Brooklyn is a bit thin. It's also not far from JFK airport. It is part if Gateway National Recreation Area. Funny thing is earlier today I was looking into visiting this area and the nearby Fort Tilden State Historic Site. You also wouldn't be far from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and Prospect Park, which like Central Park is Olmstead designed. Given where it is and that it's on National Recreation Area land I'm sure security would be adequate. Besides, BK and Queens, while they still have rough areas like any city, have gentrified (and condo-ized) a great deal.

15. NH-popper

Mar 10, 2010
    This is what it's like there now:
    http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/11/sleeping-under-the-stars-in-brooklyn/

And here's an article with more details:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/14/2011-06-14_off_to_bklyn_bring_a_tent_feds_expand_camping_areas_at_floyd_bennett_field_for_s.html

They want to make it a model for urban camping.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Like someone said on this thread. chain link fence with razor wire , armed guards and campers are given standard issue weapons. Spent a lot of time in the 70's between Queens, Brooklyn and Harlem. Have things gotten that much better since 74?
    Haven't been back since.

17. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    It's actually a nice area; I've visited before as a history buff. I don't see why all the fuss about security. US Park Police have jurisdiction over all of Gateway NRA and there aren't many incidents in any of the units, especially remarkable considering the high number of people living nearby.

18. NH-popper

Mar 10, 2010
    Yes, they have. No comparison to nearly 40 years ago.

19. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Hauppauge NY
    I just read about this in Camping Life a couple of days ago. I figured I would chime in since I am from NY. I know the area and grew up in Queens not all that far away from where the campsites will be. I wouldnt camp there and I wouldnt suggest it to anyone I knew who wanted to visit. Getting there will be a pain in the ***. It is right off the Belt Pkwy which trailers are not allowed on. Driving that highway without a trailer is tough enough. I try to avoid it whenever I can. You would need to drive in on the BQE and take side streets through Brooklyn south to Floyd Bennett Feild. Floyd Bennett Feild is huge (by city standards) but at night you can still hear the highway close by, and planes taking off and landing at JFK airport. The NYPD aviation unit is based at the airfield and is in operation 24hrs a day. NYPD also has a drivers training facility there too as well as the Emergency service school. They use the helicopters for some training during the day so that brings lots of noise. You wont be allowed in those areas. In general the airfield is very run down. Security will be a problem since it is so close to civilization. Its the city, we have bad people who like to steal things in the city. Once they realize how easy it is to get into the campground and steal it will become a big problem. It stinks that you have to think this way but its a fact of life in the New York.
    If you want to visit the city on a camping trip your best bet is to find a CG in New Jersey and take the train into Manhattan. You stand a much better chance of not having your things stolen while your out for the day.

20. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Jan 13, 2008
    Security? It's Brooklyn! Just set up camp, someone will pay you a visit before long offering you 'security services'. "It sure would be a shame if something were to happen to that pretty canvas you got there".

Had I been born 2 weeks earlier, I'd have been born in Bay Ridge. Long Island born & raised.