Really Really tired of the rain

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Gadgetman728, May 29, 2016.

1. Gadgetman728

Gadgetman728 I live for the next adventure

Apr 9, 2016
    Here we are at Memorial weekend. I've owned my pup for about 2 months now and there hasn't been 3 days in a row without at least a 30% chance of rain. We've been getting rain 5 or 6 days in a row for over a month. I live in central Kansas and although I'm confident my pup is fairly water tight, I only have 3 choices, leave it up to get rained on for several days and hope the sun comes out long enough to dry it out before storage, do ovenighters, and tear it down as soon as its daylight and gets a few minutes of sunlight or tear it down and store it wet, I have no garage to reopen it in and dry it out. [:(!]

This is very frustrating. I have awakened this morning after a great nights sleep, watching the sun come up, only to look at the radar and see a storm heading straight towards me from the West. It's not a big storm, and there doesn't appear to be anything more behind it, but storms brew fast in Kansas as the day heats up. I've got about 2 hours to make my decision, leave it up and stay in it and let the storm hit me & check for leaks. Then let the sun dry it out and stay in it again tonight or tear it down before the rain gets here.

Being new to pups and very glad I got one in such good shape, I DON'T want to screw it up and get mold or rot. I'm set up on some family property that is surrounded by trees, and for being in town, It's kind of remote, I can't be seen from any street or passers by and I can leave it set up until it drys out if I have to, I just don't want to.
    If I leave it set up today and it does like last week, I'll have to leave it set up in the rain until next Thursday before it will be sunny enough to dry it out so I can store it.

I hate to sound like a cry baby, but my frustration with the rain has me seriously irritated on a such beautiful morning. I'm going to make some breakfast and watch the radar. I've gathered up things for a speedy pack up, and it takes me about 25 minutes to tear it down. This is my 5th over night camp out since owning it. I'm good at tearing down in a hurry, lol!!
    I hope everyone has a fun & safe holiday.

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We feel your pain here on the south shore of da BIG lake. [:(] Earlier this spring, we were quite dry with high fire warnings being issued. Then about 2 weeks ago, it started to rain and seems to every other day since then. With wet trails we're not getting out for rides either. Oh and due to a wet forecast, we stayed home for the holiday weekend.

We don't have a garage big enough to set our little camper up either. So we fold it up wet and go home, then reopen it when the sun is out the following day in the afternoon when the humidity is reduced, and it will dry in seemingly, minutes.

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Feb 1, 2012
    Rain, snow, humidity....what are all these things people speak of? [LOL]

4. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    I also feel your pain. The storm front headed your way moved thru here at 3:00 am and stayed for hours. It was a bad one. Thunder rattled the windows and lightning kept things lit up. We are expecting another later today.

I want to warn you about closing the pup while it is wet. If it is wet for any length of time you will end up with mold and mildew and possibly stains that won't come out.

It will get better. I bought my vintage Apache in Feb and haven't been able to use it yet. Considering pontoons if the rain doesn't stop [LOL]

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    We live in Kansas City and have been planning this trip to SW Missouri for several months. Looking at the weather reports last week I was afraid we were going to be dodging rain all weekend. But we got out of town just ahead of the latest storm on Thursday, arriving at Pomme de Terre about 7 pm. We got rained on overnight the first night but it's been Chamber of Commerce weather ever since.
    Hope things improve for you as getting out of town with our Pup is about the best mental health therapy I know. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Gadgetman728

Apr 9, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. The early morning storm fell apart before it got here, but there is another building right now, and it will be here in an hour or so. I'm finishing lunch with my Dad, then tearing down until next time. I'm glad my pup came with an AC unit, because by the time I get to use my camper it will be full blown summer here, lol!

7. Gadgetman728

Apr 9, 2016
    Didn't get tore down in time... I'm riding out the storm, or as the scanner says, a significant weather event. It's really raining hard right now, but not too much wind...yet. Small hail, but not too bad. Camper seems dry so far. If you see a pup float by, just wave!!

8. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I hear ya about the rain. I used to live in the Pacific Northwest. The rain is what made me move off the ground and into a pop up. Hope the skies clear up soon for you.

9. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    I live in PNW as well just North of the border in Langley BC. We generally get a lot of rain and last year we hardly got any to a point of a stage 3 water restriction where we weren't allow to water our grass and wash cars. They have imposed earlier watering restriction on is this year starting it 2 weeks early and 2 week longer. Yesterday we got a ton of rain and now it has cleared up so I can now pull my TT out from the side of the house to dewinterize for next weekend's camping trip. I hope you get some sun too!