Reassembling Coleman Wiffle Tree

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Reis, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Reis

Reis New Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I recently purchased a 1996 Coleman Taos popup. Its main issue was a stripped delrin nut on the wiffle tree. Of course, one cannot purchase just the delrin nut but I did find a aftermarket source for a new wiffle tree. I'm finding reassembling it a challenge, particularly reattaching the wiffle tree to the crank assembly. I can't seem to find a way to reinsert the solid tapered shear pin through the crank hub and wiffle tree screw. I was able to do it on my bench, but underneath the trailer is another matter. There is no room to get a decent swing on a hammer but worse, I can find no way to secure the whole assembly so it doesn't flex while trying to hammer the pin in. I tried to press it in using a c-clamp but there is not enough room to turn the clamp screw. Has anyone had experience reassembling one of these? If so, how did you get the pin in?

2. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Channel locks or vice grips?

3. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    It can be done.....I'm trying to remember how I managed it when I rebuilt the assembly on our Coleman Utah - I'd think it was the same type assembly.....could it be that once you get it in place, it isn't quite lined up? Maybe using a wooden chock to help secure it....I'd be afraid if the pin is going in too hard that something isn't right.

Can you get any pictures?

4. Reis

Reis New Member

Jul 17, 2017
    IMG_20170715_115003212_HDR.jpg It looks lined up to me. I can see through the hole and see no edges. I was able to reinstall it on the bench - before I realized it had to be installed in situ - and it took a decent rap to get it to go then, a much stronger one than I can manage underneath the trailer. I thought I attached a picture to my last post but I'll go ahead and try again. Not sure that it shows much except how confine the space is.

5. Fless

Fless Active Member

I'd probably lightly taper the front end of the tension pin a little, and use a c-clamp if I could get one in there. Yours doesn't look like a solid pin to me.

6. Fless

Fless Active Member

Sorry, I missed your mention of a c-clamp in the original post. How about clamping a vise grip on it near the far end and using a sideways hammer head?

7. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Could you possibly manually rotate the pieces 90°, then you'd have a straight shot with a hammer, or maybe as before mentioned, a c-clamp? Just spitballing here....

8. Boatnman

Boatnman Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Place the head of another hammer on the opposite side of the whiffletree while tapping on the pin. Yes, it's awkward and may take a second pair of hands. You can also try using a drop of dish soap to temporarily lube the pin.

Fless likes this.
  9. smit1088

smit1088 Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I just did this to a 1997. It sucked, but I used a couple of socket extensions and some awkward hand placement to get it in. I have a video of it at home and will look at it to see how good it is.

10. Reis

Reis New Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Thanks for all you suggestions. Actually the one that worked came from my son. Freeze the pin then drive it in while still cold. The slight contraction due to the cold was just enough to get it started. Still have about 1/8" to go to seat it so looking for a friend with better hammer skills/strength to finish the job.