Reattaching awning after ABS removal

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Hsharp, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hsharp

Hsharp New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    My ABS roof was severely cracked and delaminated, so I pulled it off and Grizzly Gripped the foam (lots of thoughts on that process if people want to know). So far so good, but now I can't figure the best way to reattach the awning rail. Even as delaminated as it was, the old ABS exterior layer had a lot of structural integrity which was enough to support the diagonal pull of the awning, but the GG isn't going to be strong enough, or is it?
    My best idea so far using an adhesive like 3M 5200 and then maybe 6 or 8 #6 bolts 2 or 3 inches long through-bolting to the inner roof. Anybody done this successfully?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    No I haven't done it, but bolting through is your best bet, I would use a strip of metal (backer board and on the front also) on each side as to distribute the weight. Seal it up good. You should be fine. I think 6 to 8 bolts might be over kill. Are you putting up the same plastic rail? Do they sell an aluminum or metal one? I really don't know.

3. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Shot, you dont need a bar on the fron as the awning bar will distribute the weight. Sorry.

4. Hsharp

Hsharp New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I've ordered a new plastic rail, the old one snapped when the roof came off. Backer board is a good idea, thanks.

5. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The ones I saw on Amazon said they were made to be screwed and use butal tape in between. I saved my rail as I didn't take off the and, just went over it. Best I could do.