Recommendations for tall people?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by CvilleMama, May 1, 2016.

1. curls

curls Member

Ditch the AC idea and the slide-out idea if you're towing with an Odyssey. It'll be really heavy and pushing the safe limits with those options.

We are a family of 4 and I'm 6'4" while wearing shoes (which we do a lot inside the PUP). In our Jayco 1007, I have PLENTY of headroom.
    Sleeping on the 'king' is no problem, as I don't sleep fully extended. Knees or waist are always bent a bit. Unless your husband sleeps like Dracula in a coffin, I'm sure he'll be fine with a PUP King bed.

Having said that, I'd recommend a mid-2000'2 Jayco 1007. It tows easily behind the Odyssey, it has everything you want (minus the AC and slide out as I mentioned earlier, you aren't getting if you're not changing TV and also definitely not for under $3000!!).
    You can get a porta-potty from any camping store or even Walmart and store it in the trailer.
    Your husband will fit. Maybe not through the door but at 6'6" tall I'm sure, like me, he's used to ducking through EVERY door he goes through.

In the Jayco 1007, we removed the base and table for the U-shaped dinette and use it only as seating. That way, getting in/out of the king bed is simple. The kids (7 & 10) get the rear double bed and/or the other bed near the rear where the main dining table drops to create a large twin / small double. The kids don't mind (and quite enjoy) climbing over that to get into the rear bed anyhow.

Word of warning, the Jayco 1006 is heavier due to the storage compartment and other things. I much prefer the layout of the 1007 to the 1006 anyhow.
    Both, however, should be available at your sub-$3K pricepoint.

2. DanO-MI

DanO-MI New Member

Here are a couple pics of our short queen extension to regular king size(60x75 to 80x75). We placed a king size 2" memory foam topper on top and it fits perfectly. Just got back from our first trip and slept comfortably. I'm 6'5" and this mod was to a 91 Palomino MXL utilizing the "couch" in front of the bunkend.

Setup:
    [​IMG]

Closeup:
    [​IMG]

Katskamper likes this.
  3. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

im 6’4. i feel this one.
    put heads at hitch end, toes stick into cabin area . better than popping out the canvas!

& yes, get a truck!

4. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

We have a viking with a king bed on one end. We sleep east to west. I am 6'3 and feel a 6'6 person could be comfortable in this bed. Our box is 8 feet wide so maybe the helps. We have a queen at home so the camper bed seems huge.

Not sure if an 8 foot width puts extra weight to be our of your range or not.

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

So the O.P. is looking for a pup that has A.C., is 1500 to 2000 lbs but will have a bed 80" long, is "not a piece of junk", and has a budget of $3000. Realistically I think it will be like winning a lottery to find this pup.......not going to say impossible, but tall order though. [EEK]

6. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Rockwood and Flagstaff pups have 80" long beds and a 68" interior height. But even their smallest model made in 2004 has a GVWR of 2259 lbs.