Reflectix vs Open Windows

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by TeamECKO, Jul 9, 2018.

Reflectix or Open Windows?

1. Put reflectix in all of the windows

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Reflectix in the bunks, leave the main area windows open for airflow

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Reflectix only in areas that get sun for most of the day, all other windows open for airflow

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No reflectix, open all windows for ventilation

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

We are planning on a week long camping trip in warm weather (average high of 100), and are looking at options to help with the temps inside of our 2001 Coleman Santa Fe. I was exploring the option of putting reflectix in the windows to help (we already have popup gizmos on the bunks). Since we don’t have AC, I started wondering if the reflectix would make it worse since there would be no airflow with the windows blocked. Then I thought about maybe a hybrid option, reflectix in the bunk windows, while leaving the main area windows open for airflow, or possibly waiting until we get to the camp site and seeing what part of the camper gets the most sun and only putting reflectix up in that area, while leaving all of the other windows open. Any suggestions?

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

My guess would be all windows open to let the heat out. Plus using a fan to assist air movement. We camped 2 weekends ago in our 2008 Santa Fe in 90 degree weather and it was hot for sure. I can't imagine closing in the bunk windows.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI TeamECKO... Brave soul you are : )

Goodness if you have temperatures of a 100 outside, then the temp inside "should" be too much to endure.. Wow you would have to be tough individual to consider camping without an a/c in those temps..

On days that are over 100 degrees here in the SOUTH, my PUP can get over 118 degrees in it.

We use the Reflextix in our BUNK windows..and we actually have a piece of "insulfoam" that we move around in the pup, depending on where the sun is shining. or blocking ONE BUNK completely. >>>> However we do have A/C and a COOLER/A/c in our PUP. and are seeking to TRAP the air INSIDE.

Personally, AND I COULD BE WRONG, but it would seem that to put the REFLEXTIX on your camper would only "entrap" the heat IN, Perhaps with the 'windows Open" >>>like you said.. it that would be a small helps to you....

I could be wrong about that.

Just a few considerations:

1. I have also seen where someone put a put a TARP completely over his PUP, like a canopy. Perhaps that would help you?

2. maybe one of the cooler a/c (NOT MIST COOLER/ SWAMP COOLER) would be a little helps to you, but it actually only Transfers "Heat to cool" , based on how hot the air that is already the PUP. making a difference of about 15 degrees lower? The hotter it is.. the faster the ICE will melt..

MY best advice would be: .. for you to put your PUP up in the YARD and try various things that might work for you.

I hope you find a solution, good luck. most of all BE safe....

I know I couldn't camp in these temp. without my a/c, gizmos, reflextix and cooler a/c..

p.s..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I played that game a few years ago in St Louis. Daytime temps were over 100 deg F. I had homemade PUGs. Leave the flaps open and as previously mentioned, use a fan (or two or three) to circulate the air. Last weekend we camped in 98 deg weather, but we brought along a portable AC. That didn't make the camper comfortable during the day, but it was great for sleeping.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

What I did is close the curtains on the sunny side but keep all windows open to allow airflow. The curtain could help keep the sun's heat out of the camper but windows open to still provide airflow. If you are camping with power, use a couple fans to help push the air through. Hope the evenings are not so hot for you. The more airflow the better. Times like that I make sure to camp near water and in as much in the shade as possible. A quick dip in the water was always much needed when temps get so high. I've camped many times in those temperatures without AC so it's doable but stay hydrated. If it gets too unbearable take a quick drive around town in your car. Go walk around a store or something. I once found myself reading a book on the bathroom floor at the campground just to bring my body temperature down some. That was an insufferable trip with humidity levels near 90% and temps in the 100°.

landon6062 likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

With no AC you want to maximize shade but not close off the interior. This weekend I had mine up in 95-100 degree weather. With no AC, reflectix in the windows and pugs on the bunks. My interior temps hit around 115-120 with the bunks about 5-10 degrees warmer. I didn't have the AC running that day so I was able to monitor the temps.

7. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

Thanks for all of the tips. Looks like we are going to get a little bit of a break, the weather now says high 80’s to mid 90’s. Last year it was right around 100 all week and we survived. It is a drier heat, so at least no humidity to contend with. We’ll plan on spending most of the day outside of the PUP and keep fans running to circulate air throw as much as we can.

landon6062 likes this.