Remove 3 way Fridge and install a window AC?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by D in AZ, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , lets get back to the basics. Lol. Remember the time.e before the AC and doubble hung windows? You would open the botton windows on the windward side of the home and opposit those open the top half. This was because heat rises. So the wind blowing into the bottom windows created positive pressure that caused the hotter air up above to be pused out the top opened windows. So , it will work to a point to help cool things off. It may not be freezing or cold but it could make it more bearable. I would still use the biggest ac i could fit into the spot. But if thats all you have it will help. Just crack a screen up high, you should do that anyway for condinsation.

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Never used a window unit in a camper, but never been very happy with them in any use. Our PUP has a Coleman Mach3 on the roof that does a fine job as long as you keep the PUP out of the sun. We had near full shade July 2018 and it was nice in the camper, but the one corner that caught the sun for a couple hours the canvas got really hot. Without shade we have to close off the bunkends during the heat of the day to keep it what the DW calls cool. I have foam in the bunk windows, but no PUGs yet. All that said, a little AC is better than no AC. I would recommend at least a 10k unit if you have room to put it in. There is a thread on this site where someone installed an AC that would slide out the side and ducted to a vent in the camper.

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

where do you keep your food cold?