Removing shower forever

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Gayle, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Gayle

Gayle New Member

Aug 29, 2017
    This sounds crazy but a new pop up owner with 3 kids will never use the shower toilet area. She needs it for storage. It’s a 2014 Rockwood HW. Has anyone done this or any tips I can give her? I have the same pop up and there is not a lot of storage when you have kids.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Rip it out if you need the space. May have to do a little finish work and maybe you could add an outdoor faucet and hook the water lines to that...just in case.

mamakelly likes this.
  3. Gayle

Gayle New Member

Aug 29, 2017
    It has an outdoor shower already. [8D] To cover the drain hole I read a PVC cap will work????

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    This is why we looked for a camper without that and many other "must have" snazzy items.

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    They do take up a good amount of space. Our PUP has Toilet/shower that we never intended to use, but when it's pouring rain and the DW had to go.... We only use it for #1, I don't mind dumping that. My rule is that if you #2 you empty! The shower got used once. The DW thought it drained into the same place as the sink. I came in the screen room and the rug was squishy. I said where the #377 is this water coming from, but no one knew. I noticed the floor in the shower was wet and asked why. DW said I washed the boys [::)].

Anyway just make sure you plug everything that would let in unwanted critters and water while towing in the rain.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I cringe when I read threads like this. And this being a 2014 HW, makes me double cringe.

At least camp for a while before making such a drastic (in my opinion, mistake.) Try using the toilet for nighttime #1's and you will never want to go back to not having one. Worst case scenario, you can still use the area for storage.

Even though I use our bathroom, I still use it for lots of storage item. Since I don't use the shower often, but like having a "room" instead of a potty out in the middle of the floor, it allows for storage of lots of things.

I have a shoe holder on the inside of the flip up wall for all toiletries, plus I keep our stick vacuum and towels in there. There is still plenty of space to use it for the toilet.

I'm surprised the drain was open! We leave ours shut unless it's in use as ants like to crawl up it. [:!]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    [QUOTE="Orchid, post: 1235770, member: 30012]"I'm surprised the drain was open! We leave ours shut unless it's in use as ants like to crawl up it. [:!][/QUOTE]

Can't close or even connect it to a sewer. The drain is right behind one of the tires and it's broke off. I don't know if someone ran over something that flew up and broke it or if someone drove off with it connected or whatever. Never planned to use it so I never worried about fixing it. The only place I've noticed ants coming in so far is along the power cord. I now dust it and the compartment it goes in good with boric acid. Guess I'll put that repair on the "one of these days" repair list, but not going to miss a camping day to do it.:D

8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    I wholeheartedly agree here.
    At least try it out. Even if you "never" use it, it can be actively used as a closet.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

Can't close or even connect it to a sewer. The drain is right behind one of the tires and it's broke off. I don't know if someone ran over something that flew up and broke it or if someone drove off with it connected or whatever. Never planned to use it so I never worried about fixing it. The only place I've noticed ants coming in so far is along the power cord. I now dust it and the compartment it goes in good with boric acid. Guess I'll put that repair on the "one of these days" repair list, but not going to miss a camping day to do it.:D[/QUOTE]

Our shower drain is on the body of the camper, with the big red arrow pointing to it. Probably why stuff crawls up it when it's open. You can always just keep your inside drain shut to keep any drain critters from accessing the inside.

shower drain.jpg [/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I like my shower tolet combo. Yes it takes up room. But it works well. And will work much better that I hooked both drains together. The tolet, for night time use is a God send. I don't think I would use them eaither, but once I did , I can't ever see not having one.

Orchid likes this.
  11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    in our HW 277, we never used the toilet or the shower. Both the black and grey tanks really were too small (both 6 gallons) and we just did not want to deal with the black tank. So we left the toilet and shower there but hung an extra hanging wardrobe inside so that the bathroom worked like a closet. Best part of that was we could close the door and not see the mess - teenagers ya know LOL. So, the bathroom closet was storage for the people in the back bunk and the original hanging wardrobe in the front was for the people in the front.

mamakelly and Orchid like this.
  12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Since becoming self contained, I have used the camp facilities exactly zero times. #1, #2, shower... it really doesn't matter. I find it highly desirable NOT to have to walk outside to do anything. But, if you want to rip it out, do so and seal off what you can. The next buyer may not wish it to be modified in that manner.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

I just can't imagine doing such damage to a 2014 HW. As mentioned in this thread, it can still be used as a large storage closet. You are not going to gain any space by tearing it out, that you cannot use with it there.

And maybe one day you will decide you like having the toilet. Your own, private, personally cleaned toilet so your kids don't catch cooties from the public ones.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    To hell with the next buyer, put it how you want it now. You're the one using it not the next buyer. I would have no use for a shower and toilet either.
    For the middle of the night in the rain I have a little pottie.

mamakelly likes this.
  15. Orchid

I'd say that too if it were an 80's or 90's model. This is a 4 year old HW that probably isn't even paid off yet.

If you use a little potty in the rainy night, then clearly you DO have use for a toilet .

16. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    If you call a spackle bucket a toilet.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    I also say make it like you want it, provided you and not the bank own it. Portable toilets take up nearly as much room as the shower/toilet in my PUP and those bucket/toilets can easily be knocked over.

18. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    yes, if you are clumsy. :smiley:

19. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Well we are getting older and we do camp with children:laugh:

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    At 5 am when you six year old needs to go, the potty is worth it!

Orchid likes this.