Renovation....possible?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Whiteycracker, May 14, 2018.

1. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

Hopefully some of you that have done a renovation,or thought about it can help. I was wondering about doing a possible reno to my pup just to update it a little. Stuff like painting cabinets, installing a new vinyl locking floor, re-upholstering the cushions, and making new curtains. The wife is handy as me. So we would do all the work. Was just wondering how expensive it was for you? Nothing in the PUP needs major attention its mechanically perfect besides the outdated early 2000's look. I know it could get out of control if I let it. But just wanted to make it more modern. Wondering if it would/could be worth the time and effort. Any info or tips would help....Thanks in advance!!!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm renovating things myself but doing it in ever so slowly, babysteps, so I'm not getting hit with expenses all at once and spread my time out. I bought real cheap blackout curtains at Walmart and trimmed them up and managed to find some discontinued flatgood fabric at a fabric store for cheap for the valance and tie backs. I was going to buy some heavier duty shower curtains for my bench seats. So far, fabric wise I only spent about $80 without the bench seat fabric but I estimated I would need four shower curtains at $12. Fabric is where things could get expensive if you let it. My most expensive purchase will be the floor in my case. I'm not going to paint as I really like the wood look and the color is more likely to hide dirt. Although the counters I'm considering doing something with later but I will have to see once I get everything put together. Right now, time is not on my side so I'm at a standstill. The curtains and valance are done. Clashes with my cushions right now but oh well, I will get there when I get there. I may not have a show stopper popup I've seen on Pinterest but it will be better looking than the UGLY color scheme I have going on now. Hopefully with the shower curtain seat covers it will be easier to clean dirt and other spills too. So when it comes to renovation time is going to be your biggest factor and your budget be the next. If you are very careful to look for extremely discounted fabric and find other cheaper options you can do a renovation for fairly cheap. If you are looking for a show stopper then expect to spend a lot. I love some of the popup princess pop-ups I've seen, but when I saw the cost of fabric I had to make due with what I could find at low budget prices.

Whiteycracker likes this.
  3. Whiteycracker

Thanks for the info!

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

One site many like for this type of project is Popup Princess.
    We did an extensive renovation on our first popup, did a few mods and new fabrics on our second, and the same with our TT. It can be done fairly inexpensively, but I've found it's not usually quite as cheap as I expect. For example, unless you find a good deal on fabrics, or things such as curtains that you can re-purpose, it can add up quickly. In the popups, it took something like 8 yards of fabric to redo the dinette cushions. I'm going from memory though. I was able to use fabric bought either for other purposes or deals I'd found through the years. Curtains the same, though for the TT, I found reasonably priced black out panels for the door and room divider curtains we added. I made new curtains for the TT 3 years ago, and plan to make another set, in a better color, and with better backing, probably to use next year. I just calculated that I'll need 10 yards each of lining and "pretty" fabric (unless I find really wide fabrics) for the 5 fairly small windows.
    When we did new cushions and bunk mattress in the first pup, the cost of good foam was fairly high, but it lasted and "sat" well.
    I painted the cupboards and what little paneling there was in the first pup (it was a tiny one, with a 6' box). It took some good prep, since the paneling was basically a paper coated thing plywood. You'll have to investigate to see what yours are.

5. DanLee

DanLee Member

At some point the 2000s look will become "retro" and owners will be trying to replicate it in those campers that were "updated." I'm just waiting for my camper's decor to come back in style again!

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

.All I'm got to say is some styles better not come back. [EEK] However, I really hate the dark colors of today's style though. I'd rather suffer through mine. [LOL]

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I just want the stuff that looks like wood to be made of WOOD and I will be a HAPPY CAMPER.
    #NOPAPERMACHE #IHATECHIPBOARD

79venture, CattFisher, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  8. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

I wonder how the resale value is on painted PUP interiors? A classic car goes down in value when painted. They look nice and all but someone else buying might want all original. We're holding off for now and keep ours original and put our money into the important stuff like tires, wheel bearings, new lift cables/springs, cleaning/waterproofing canvas etc. Who knows, we might go for that retro black and white polka dot look down the road. Meanwhile it's making for good bones.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

As everyone has said, fabric is the biggest expense. Peel & stick wood-look planks for the floor are pretty cheap.

Paint is also cheap, just effort required. I did zero prep, other than cleaning, on our cabinets and they look fine after about 1.5 years of rough use. This summer I may touch them up and seal them with something.

I kept a spreadsheet of expenses originally to see how much we spent vs. buying already perfect. I looked for the spreadsheet to share with someone recently but must have deleted when I finished.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We really didn't worry about resale value with any of the three campers we've had so far, the ones we've had are not collectibles. We buy them to use them for ourselves, and do mods so they work well for us. YMMV.
    With our first pup, we did an extensive renovations, including new canvas, external lifters, cushions, etc. By the time we bought all the good quality fasteners, adhesive,s paints, etc. etc., we spent almost as much as we did 2 seasons later, for a new-old-stock "used" one. We knew we wouldn't recover that money, but it gave us two very full seasons of use, taught us a lot about how a pup was put together, and what we want to look for in a slightly larger one.
    The mods we did to the second one were mostly upgrades - dual LP tanks with auto changeover, LED bulbs, thermostat mods, etc. When we sold it, it went for a fair price. Our Retro was purchased new, and again most things we've done have been upgrades, or to be more our style (the striped curtains had to go, though apparently some like them and don't mind the strobe effect they produce when raked by headlights). Once upon a time, I would have liked a vintage trailer, but by the time we needed to make things easier for me, I could not do the work - and renovating that first pup made it clear how much work could be involved.

Orchid likes this.
  11. Orchid

I wasn't concerned about resale value either. Just making it the way I wanted it to use.

We fixed everything mechanical or serious. If we ever sell, they can remodel their way. Even with purchase, repair, and reno, we stayed under our original $2500 budget.

12. Whiteycracker

I have looked at her site, just wanted other peoples takes on this. Thanks!

13. Whiteycracker

Any images?? And thanks!!

14. Orchid

Yep, I have tons of photos of all 3 remodels we have done on this particular camper. [LOL]

Here was the first time. I really loved the curtain fabric (vintage campers) but I made the curtains shorter than I liked. They covered all of the windows, but not the bottom of the canvas and that sort of drove me crazy.

[​IMG]

The bunk curtains and bench cushions were covered with fabric I already had on hand. This is the first flooring I picked out after we bought the camper. Had to tear up all the old stuff to do some floor repairs.

[​IMG]

We taped off and rattle can painted the exterior. It still looks good years later.

[​IMG]

This one shows the curtains down and the length of them.

[​IMG]

I covered the table with some contact paper-like stuff that I got at Lowe's. I also cut and hinged the table to make it more roomy, but also retain the ability to make it into a bed.

[​IMG]

These are the curtain window curtains, that I made from Walmart curtain panels. The bottom cushions upholstery has changed twice since this photo, but can't seem to find the in between ones. I'll likely find the current ones pics. I quit sewing cushion covers and have just stapled the last ones on. I change to much to put so much work into it.

[​IMG]

Actually, I did find one that shows that last bottom cushion covers. I hated these and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Right now, I'm sick of my window curtains, too, and looking to make new ones.

[​IMG]

This photo shows my current cushion covers and curtains. Will probably be replaced over the summer. Since I found that a few good coats of Scotguard will keep me from remaking bottom cushion covers constantly, I will likely sew the new ones in the current fabric. Not sure what the new window curtains will look like yet. I am loving the grey/yellow so will likely make new bunk end curtains to match as well.

[​IMG]

This is the current floor. Or what you can see of it under the rug.

[​IMG]

15. rognkat

rognkat Member

I'm curious Orchid, what's the pool noodle for on the shepards hook?

Orchid likes this.
  16. Orchid

That keeps the sag out of the canvas so puddles don't form up there.

jumpoff likes this.
  17. rognkat

rognkat Member

Thanks for the info.

18. DanLee

DanLee Member

After looking at Orchid's post and pics. I've got to say that she sounds like a very interesting woman, and thankfully someone else's wife! No offense intended.

Whiteycracker, jnc and Orchid like this.
  19. Orchid

[LOL]:laugh:[LOL] Thanks. My DH is a patient man.

20. CattFisher

CattFisher New Member

[QUOTE="
    I kept a spreadsheet of expenses originally to see how much we spent vs. buying already perfect. I looked for the spreadsheet to share with someone recently but must have deleted when I finished.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind sharing the cost comparison? I am weighing my options for that one future day that I upgrade!