Repair awning torn from rubber mounting strip?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by BAleiHi, Aug 3, 2016.

1. BAleiHi

BAleiHi New Member

Rain last night. Too heavy for awning. My son, bless his heart, tried to push the water up and off the awning. Instead, the bag that holds the awning ripped half way off the rubber strip that secures it to the rail. When I went to help take it down, it ripped the rest of the way. Looks like the threads that sewed it to the rubber were exposed to the UV rays too long (since 2006?). Anyway, I can buy a new awning...or maybe somehow reconnect the bag to the runner strip. Anyone ever tried that? Successfully? Thanks,

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Yep , my brother had the same issue . Just take the bag and strip to an upholsterer , awning maker or marine , RV top kinda place . Shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks or so to fix.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

There is a tread on here where one guy riveted the bag to the strip

4. frolin

frolin Member

i drilled and screwed mine back on 2 years ago,, no issue since,,
    think i saw it on here,, very easy 30 mins and10 bucks in small bolts and lock nuts and washers

5. BAleiHi

BAleiHi New Member

I like that frolin. I may make it even stronger by sandwiching the whole thing with two thin strips of aluminum and some silicon sealant. That'll beat thread any day...

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you use rivets instead of bolts it will look cleaner and you wont have to worry about them loosening.