Repairs worth it?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Limmer, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Limmer

Limmer Member

Hey guys. I need some advice. I excitedly posted a few months ago that a friend was giving us a PUP. The deliver kept getting pushed back and we finally received it last Friday.
    It is unusable. The roof has split at all seams and the wood it total rotted on the roof (the floor is in great condition) and the canvas is moldy and has small holes.
    It is a 2008 Rockwood Premier 1904.
    It cost us nothing so far except registration. I have requested quotes from several places. Would you put the money into it? It has everything we wanted in a PUP and we love he floor plan and it the weight that we can tow.
    WWYD?

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yes I would fix it up. You nothing into it yet so even if it takes $3000 to make it new you would not be upside down in the cost to replace it. I would try to clean & patch the canvas before replacing it. I dont know if you can buy a new roof but it's worth trying to find that out.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I always ask, are you looking for a CAMPER or a PROJECT? You, my friend, have a giant project. Do you have the skills to fix it? Tools? A garage to do it in? The budget? Are you willing to wait a while to go camping? If so, go for it! If not, time to pass it on and get a better condition one.

Also a rule I learned from our many home DIY projects is the 2/3 rule. There are 3 factors to every DIY: Good, fast, cheap. You can pick 2.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It sounds like the roof needs to be completely redone. If you are handy enough, you can do the work yourself and probably save $. If you are trying to find a shop to redo the roof you are looking at a whole lot more money.if the holes in the canvas are small enough you can patch them. If the canvas us disinigrating or holes way too big to patch you may need to buy new canvas which can cost around $1000. You probably also may need new tires and barrings done before you take it anywhere as well. I would look the camper over very carefully and make note of everything that needs to be fixed. Only you can make the decision on whether it's worth it. Look at your finances see how much you can put into it. If the canvas can be patched and you are able to redo the roof yourself it may be worth it. If you are going to have a shop do all the work it may not be worth it. You should be able to find a perfectly campable unit for $3500 or maybe a tad less if you are patient and jump at potential units quick. You may be able to find something around $2000 with some work needed but in my area $2000 doesn't buy much.

5. Limmer

Limmer Member

We were looking for a camper, not a project. We definitely don't have the skills to fix it. I have requested quotes from several different places (north of the GTA if anybody has any recommendations) and just waiting for the to get back to me.
    We may be able to patch the holes. They are fairly tiny. We found a mudwasp nest so we think the holes are from them. I believe we can scrub off the mold. I think it will all come down to how much a new roof will cost and if we can find anyone who can do it. The first place that got back to me said they will not touch anything structural on a tent trailer.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

As stated, for the price which is $000.00 you can afford to put the money into it to repair the problems, especially since it will fill all your needs. The mold can be scrubbed off with elbow grease. With luck someone on the Portal might be willing to assist you or do the work for a reasonable price. you would be surprised at what you can do if you just take your time and think it thru.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Yes you can afford to put some money into it. But since you are going to have to pay to have the repairs done, I am thinking you would have more in it than you could buy a good unit for

jmkay1 likes this.
  8. Limmer

Limmer Member

So far the only places that have responded are not able to get a new roof. So they are telling us to look at junkyards and custom canvas. Not seeming worth it as we don't have the time to put into that.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I'd find a way to fix it - even if I frankenstien the roof by overlapping the seams, repairing some wood and hand awl stitched the canvas. Depends on your skill level, and what you want it to look like at the end of the project. If no time, no materials, no tool = then no to the project.

10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Let us know if you're getting rid of it. I know that there would be several folks like me who would love to have another project.

11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I would definitely fix it. A roof is about a 2 weekend job. Where do you live? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation GTA.

12. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

That's probably the Greater Toronto Area, but it might be something else somewhere else on the continent.

13. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Tis indeed the Toronto area.

14. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

If you don't have the time, skills, or desire to tackle the project then sell it to someone who wants that project and spend you money on one that costs $3000 to $4000 cause that is what you would spend having someone fix the Rockwood. I am a DIY, fixer upper kinda gal, but when it comes to my 1985 Jayco pup....I would rather be camping than constantly fixing it. Do what is right for you and your family. No regrets there.

15. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Are these Rockwood dealers? Since that company is still in business and making pop-ups, I would think they could acquire a new roof for you. If it were me, I would not try to fix the roof, just replace it. If I were in your position, and found a new roof, I would pay the $1k, give or take, for a new canvas, too, assuming everything else was in great condition.

For a free 2008 Rockwood, a couple grand is worth the investment, in MY OPINION. You will likely not find that year, in great condition, for anywhere near that price.

However, if Rockwood dealers cannot get you a new roof, and you can't find one from any other source, I would pass along the whole thing to someone else. That is just my opinion, others may think of things completely differently.

17. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Why don’t you start by posting pics of all the areas of concern. At the moment you’re getting worst case scenario advice and who knows, maybe it’s not.
    You wouldn’t be the first person to learn how to be “handy” tackling a project of this magnitude. As for this season, I’d consider it a bust and start making plans for next year. Gives you all Fall and Winter to get the job done.

Now, having said all of that, if you must pay someone to do all the work, then sell it as it is and put that money towards something else. I will tell you though, not too many campers out of warranty that don’t need something done. It’s the nature of the beast

Orchid likes this.
  18. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Maybe just draw straws. Ya never know if you're going to draw short or long. Live dangerously. :)