Replaced blower motor and now furnace won’t work at all

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Brent Boyer, May 25, 2019.

1. Brent Boyer

Brent Boyer New Member

So, based on reading previous threads, I decided to resolve my loud furnace issue (Atwood Hydro Flame 7916-II) by replacing the blower motor. I thought everything went smoothly during the install, but now I can’t get the furnace to kick on at all.

Here’s what’s happening: When I flip the switch to the furnace “on” and turn on the thermostat, I hear the click from the thermostat telling the furnace to start the blower. But the blower never starts. After about 10 seconds, the furnace on/off switch flips itself to off.

To eliminate the thermostat as the issue, I removed it from the sequence. No difference.

It’s also worth noting that when I flip the furnace switch on, my overhead dome LED lights dim. That never happened with the old blower motor. It seems like it’s an electrical issue, so I’m thinking of trying a new battery. The fuses all appear to be fine. I’ve double-checked all the wiring connections in the furnace and they appear to be solid as well.

Help, please!

Oh, it’s a 1999 Coleman Fleetwood Sea Pine. Furnace with old blower motor always worked fine for us (we’ve owned this pup for two years).

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Battery might be low, LP could be out, also air in the LP lines can cause a problem, turn the LP valve off then turn it back on slowly then light a stove burner for a few minutes to finish getting the air out of the lines. If this doesn't help check the sail switch to make sure it is working correctly. Good Luck

Brent Boyer likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Did you test the "new" blower motor before installing? NEW= Never Ever Worked. The fan could be in a bind preventing rotation. This, locked rotor, will cause excess power draw and dim your lights.

neighbormike, Sjm9911 and Brent Boyer like this.
  4. Brent Boyer

Brent Boyer New Member

Thanks, WrkrBee. It didn’t occur to me that the new blower motor was the problem, and it absolutely is. I took it out and re-installed the old one, and guess what? Works like a charm again (besides the noisy bearings). Thanks for replying. I’m returning the new one and debating whether to reorder and try again.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Some motors can be disassembled and the bearings replaced. Small motors may just have shaft bushings that can be oiled.

Sjm9911 likes this.