Replaced shock cord today.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by CampIsLife, Apr 21, 2019.

1. CampIsLife

CampIsLife New Member

Decided to give it a try & replace all the shock cord for our 91 Coleman, the old cord was tied, cut & stretched was not holding canvas down to good anymore.
    I went to Canadian Tire bought 4 1/4" hooks & 25' of 1/4" shock cord for only $11.50.
    Straightened out a clothes hanger cut it in half electrical taped shock cord & hanger together & ran through eyelets with in 25 minutes I had job competed both bunk ends new cord nice and tight now:)

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, better then me, i thought it would be fast but was a pita, i think i got bigger cord then needed. Feel proud , its good!

3. CampIsLife

CampIsLife New Member

I was eyeing up 3/8" cord lucky I brought a piece with me or it would of been a pita!

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

When I did ours, I found the coat hanger just got in the way. I was able to to just push the cord along the channel, from the outside, super fast. A much easier job than I thought it would be. Made a huge difference in the quality of the bunk ends!!

CoolCanuck, CampIsLife and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. CampIsLife

CampIsLife New Member

It needed replacement my wife woke up with her arm outside the canvas last camping trip she didnt like that to much lol!

Orchid and neighbormike like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I ordered the bigger cord, needed my ellecteical fish line to help, atually muscle it through. I put it , the fish line, through the canvas in a few spots. Took hours for each side. Good news is it will never need to be replaced!

Orchid and CampIsLife like this.
  7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Good job on that one. Now the wife's arms will stay inside and not get attacked by mozzies all night long!

CampIsLife and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I bought the kit to do ours from Colemanpopupparts.com and so far have done one side. Using the electrical fish line had the one side done in about 20 minutes. Would have gotten the back done but was looking like rain so wanted to close it down before it started. If we actually get a weekend without rain some day I'll finish the back side. Overall went a lot smoother than I anticipated.

Orchid and CampIsLife like this.
  9. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

Got my cord and ends laying here as well. After the long weekend I'll run them through when I pop up the trailer and install my repaired heater... projects... ;)

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

At least the cord is an easy one. [8D]