Replacement door Latch?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Matt Benoit, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    The door Latch on our 96 rockwood is sloppy and can be a pain at times. I've been looking for a replacement, but haven't seen anything in this style...
    20180423_080207.jpg 20180423_080154.jpg

I keep finding latches like this :

Screenshot_20180423-081808_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anyone know if latches like this work be a direct replacement? Thank you.

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    The latch shown is what the factory would have installed . The one you have is not a pup door latch. My guess is that the PO of your pup changed it because they original had a problem. As far as it being a direct replacement, it should be, however don't know if the door was drilled or anything when they changed it. You will definitely have small holes left in the door frame used to attach your current latch which I would just fill with some JB Weld

Orchid and Matt Benoit like this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  4. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Because it was easier than doing it correctly.

JPBar and Matt Benoit like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Because a screen door latch is cheaper and easier to find then a proper trailer latch..

7. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I guess I'm lucky to have an rv dealer 3 miles from the house... Lol. $20 and 5 minutes later... 20180423_121200.jpg
    The best part? Didn't have to fill any extra holes! The door latches perfect now. I can just push it closed and it will catch. I also appreciate that it has a keyed lock. Thanks for the help guys!

Orchid and BikeNFish like this.
  8. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Good price! I'm finding white is little more expensive that other colors.

9. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Hard to tell in the picture, it's actually silver.

10. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Just replaced my latch and it closes great. However, the lock isn't that great. Even when locked, if you play around with it you can get it open without the key. I replaced a latch that didn't lock, so perhaps they are just junky locks?

Anyone have any experience with this?

11. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    No experience with faulty latches. However consider that pups are inherently unsecured... Even if the lock works perfectly, one simply has to pull the canvas away from the door and reach in too open the door. I use a barrel bolt in addition to the normal latch to prevent the door from opening while traveling. If security is your concern, there are better options than a cheap lock... Lol

12. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    True, but for $20 I'd expect the lock to stay locked if you wiggle it. I'm more concerned for security when its not up and in storage.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Except on Colemans. The door step can be put into place on the outside of the door and it bolts very securely. No way could a person reach in and open it. They would have to do some climbing to get in. [LOL]

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oh these Coleman doors can be opened while locked just driving down the road and in a pinch I was able to open by hand once when I forgot the Key at home 3 hour away. I will say that it was a real PITA to close it back up like that.

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

How? I may need this information one day if we can't find the key. When the handle is in the locked position, there is no way to even fiddle with it or move it around. Even with the key, it's very stiff.

We never lock our camper anyway. I wouldn't camp anywhere where I felt like I needed to. But would be nice to know how to open that step door in a pinch.

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I pulled the top towards the rear while also pulling outward after a few good pulls the cross bar popped out enuff to open it. It was much Harder to close because of the way the end of the cross bar is bent. I had to have the DW apply a little weight on the rear bunk. The only damage is where I scratched up the siding trying to close it up.

Orchid likes this.