Replacement fire extinguisher...

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by DFire2, Aug 23, 2017.

1. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I have my JayCo popup rebuild nearly complete. My 2# FE is the original from like '95. So it's way outta date. I went ahead and installed the recessed holder that it had with it. However after installation I've found that the new 2# FE i just bought is shorter and wider, won't fit. Grrrr...so before I take that one out and attempt to make my own recessed fixture, does anyone know if a company sells a 2# FE in the same dimensions as the original?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
  3. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    I ended up using the PWC marine style, which has the push-button activation like the first link provided. That was what my OEM extinguisher looked like from my '93 anyway. I found that available online, but stumbled across one at a local Walmart for $9.96. It fit in my OE recessed bracket very well. I would say that the 'bottle' is maybe a half inch shorter, and slightly less diameter. But the plastic bracket does snap into place well enough to secure the extinguisher. I might be able to get a picture over the weekend if I get a chance to pop the roof open.

Not sure if this ins the exact part number yet or not, but I believe this is what I ended up using:
    https://www.industrialsafety.com/Ki...MIz4Hs_9Tw1QIVhIWzCh1Ebg2lEAQYBSABEgK2yfD_BwE

4. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Thanks, I'll head over to wally world later and check out what they have.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

$30 online? What a rip off. I didn't pay that much for a 2-pack of much larger ones we keep in the kitchen cabinet and garage.

6. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Yeah these size of FE seem to be a specialty. The only other use for these I've found seem to be ski-doo.

Anyways, I called my local RV place and they HAD ONE! It was about $27 out the door. Cheaper than Amazon. Picture provided below. Only difference is the new one is a 24oz whereas the old one was a 32oz (2#). The diameters match exactly, the new one though being about 1/2 shorter in height.

New brand is Fyr Fyter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Heh, looks like the same bottle as the one I got, except mine is white. We DEFINITELY had the same original one.

Too bad it doesn't have the gauge like you wanted, but I think that due to size, these are pretty bare-bones. First replacement I thought I had that was going to work, had the larger lever activator, but I did not like how it stuck out of the recess into the walkway, saw bad things happening with that one, so it is now mounted by my garage workbench.

8. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

After reading your thread the other week I thought I’d better check our extinguisher on our 1998 Coleman Redwood and indeed the mfg stamp showed 1997. So I figured it was time to change it out as I’m sure the powder was packed solid from all the miles/km we drove over the years. The cost of an exact replacement Kidde in red was $20 more than the $10 Walmart Kidde white version and they gave me free shipping to my store. In the end I got lucky since it is the exact same size as the original extinguisher and I was able to use the same mount. Although ideally I wish it had a gauge on it ,but it fits.

Walmart $10 Kidde 5BC: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walter-Kidde-5BC-PWC-Fire-Extinguisher/16224463

Thanks for the reminder!

Ext 1.JPG
    Ext 2.JPG

9. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    PLEASE NOTE - those fire extinguishers you have posted are for class B and C fires ONLY! Gasoline and electrical - they are NOT classified for normal combustibles (wood, paper etc).....that would be an ABC extinguisher. I'd check and see what rating the original extinguisher has, and if it is an ABC replace it with the same type.

JPBar likes this.
  10. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    My original is a BC rated just checked it.

pasobuff likes this.
  11. megcabra

Mine too was a B-C rated extinguisher that came with our Coleman. I guess an A-B-C probably would be better.

477E27C8-F514-4787-8569-4F1286A35A4E.jpeg

pasobuff likes this.
  12. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I wonder why original equipment only included "BC" extinguishers.

13. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Cost for the manufacture
    BC-$14
    ABC-$23

14. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yup, my OE unit was a B/C only as well. It is curious, as A/B/C would seem to make more sense based on the use. Maybe the thought was that the elec converter was the only real ignition source in the popup originally?

15. megcabra

So here is some more info I discovered on why we got 5BC extinguishers in our Pop-Ups.

All our Pop-Ups are built to standards adopted by the Recreational Vehicle Industry (RIVA) and or in Canada on older models prior to 2011 certified by organizations like CSA or QAI to meet the CSA Z240 Fold-Down Trailer standard. The manufacturers all agreed to follow the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards for RVs. NFPA 1192 standard code for RVs and requires that the extinguisher be mounted within 24”/61cm of the primary means of escape and that the if the RV Trailer has a fuel burning system (cooking and or heating) and or a 120/240 volt electrical system a portable extinguisher with a minimum rating of 5BC as defined by NFPA 10 or Canada-ULC-S508.

In the end I still think an ABC type would be more practical for our units with all the wood in the roof, walls and floor.

QAI RVIA.jpg

CSA.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    TDS-MN and tzmartin like this.
  16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

...or the stove, or the furnace, or the fridge in gas mode, or an ember from the campfire...

Yeah if/when we replace ours it will be ABC. You could picture any ignition source setting the wood on fire and then a BC isn't going to be as useful.

17. megcabra

18. Fless

Fless Active Member

Might want to visit this page and read up on the Pros and Cons of different types.

19. megcabra

So I received my replacement Kidde extinguisher from the recall the other day and installed it over the weekend. Although it is the same capacity it is shorter and fatter but it does have a gauge. I decided to cut some of my original housing plastic and install their mount with a metal brace on the rear. Not sure if Kidde will ever make the old style again or not but I'm good for now.

Ext.jpg

kitphantom likes this.