Replacing Stabs

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Wrenchgear, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I'm at the age where everything is breaking now. I need both shoulders done in the next few months, first one getting done in April. I'm off work right now, and still able to move my arms and hands before my surgeries. I'm thinking of doing some work to the Pup that I never thought of doing before. This summer will be tough cranking up the roof, and putting down stabs with arms in slings and stuff like that. I'm going to start figuring on either swapping over to a power winch, or the whole cordless drill thing for the roof.
    So, on to the stabs question. Right now I have the atwood square telescopic type of stabs, looks like Atwood #82297. These are going to be tough to put down if I can't crawl around on the ground and operate the little bar to put pressure on them. I was thinking on changing them over to the kind that screw down with a socket on the end of a cordless drill. I'm thinking of the kind similar to BAL #23026.
    The new Rockwoods, and I'm sure lots of other makes, come from the factory now with this 'new' style. Question is, are these newer ones as sturdy as the ones I have on now? The newer ones look like they might try and flop back and forth some. I would put the sand pads on them if I swapped over. I chock the wheels very tight and put lots of pressure on my current stabs, because I hate movement in the pup when people move around in bed at night, drives me nutz. I don't want to screw up what I have right now if I won't be happy with the new ones, plus, they are kind of expensive.
    Has anyone swapped over to the new style and not been happy with them?

I don't really want to swap over to scissor jacks on the corners.

2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    My Aliner came with a similar set of BAL stabilizers on the rear, perhaps a little larger. I added a second pair to the front and they all worked great with a cordless drill. Also used the BAL leveler. I'm fan of BAL products and do not like movement in a camper either. I currently use BAL X-chock between the tandem wheels of my TT to minimize movement.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Just an fyi, check out your local P.A store, noticed the one by tthe airport had the verticle stabs on sale last week.

4. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Craig, whats a P.A. store?

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    He's probably referring to Princess Auto. The thing I have found about them, much like Harbour Freight in the U.S. prices are good but quality.....not so much. Lots of 'Made in China' type stuff.

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I had the Bal crank down stabs installed on my previous Dutchmen pup when I bought it used from Holiday World RV many years ago. The Dutchmen only had the square tube jacks in the rear and the tongue jack on the front. Surprisingly, they just used self tapping screws (large ones) to attach them but it was fine. My Fleetwood also has the Bal stabs and I am very happy with them. On both pups, I had the sand pads. As far as trailer movement, I can feel some if people are rolling around on the opposite bunk but I really don't crank them down too hard, and I only use a wheel chock on the low side on a hill so that doesn't help.

7. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah Steve, I have those square tube jacks on all 4 corners. I'm ok with them and never really thought of changing them, but as I said, I don't know if I'm going to be able to operate them this year. I just don't know if all the work and cost of buying the newer crank down style stabs will be worth what I will gain out of them. If you're going to be at the rally this year, I'll get you to put the stabs down for me, thanks :) I agree with the Princess Auto thing, I only buy stuff of certain brand names, or if I don't necessarily need super quality in a product.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    My Somerset has the BAL #23026 or similar. Compared to the telescoping stabs I have on my last two campers, these are very easy to use.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    P.A = Princess Auto (like Steve said) or Princess Aviation, as it is know around work as... you would be surprised how many of their tools are used to fix aircraft ..

I know a few people who have bought the stabs from P.A and use them .. haven't heard anything bad about them.. Other way to go would be a visit to your local U-pick auto wrecker and buy 4 import car jacks..

10. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I have a bunch of scissor jacks here from numerous Caravans that I parted out over the last few years. I did think of putting those on, but I'm not crazy about the appearance of them hanging on all 4 corners, they look kind of big and clunky. Tina said to put them on, but I'm not sure.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Then carry them with you , don't permanently install them.

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    The BAL #23026 style of screw down stabs have been around for decades, had 'em on our 2000 Santa Fe and are far superior to the swing down type of stab. With a cordless drill of an appropriate torque rating you can use it to not only raise / lower the roof but also the tongue jack and stabilizers.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

Scissor jacks most often used on travel trailers are overkill for use on a popup.

13. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yes, this is exactly why I was thinking of swapping over to screw down stabs. I have a Milwaukee 18v that I use for everything, but not sure if it's strong enough to raise the roof. I might start working on an adapter in the next few days to see how it goes. I've seen guys at the campsites using drills on their stabs and thought that was kind of cool, but never really figured of swapping mine over to different stabs.

I've gone through your whole folder of pictures and see that you and I do things much in the same way, good job on your mods. Where are you located?

14. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

Dec 27, 2018
    My very tiny pup had the swing down jacks that retract down. However, they were always super inconvenient and didn't have the right amount of adjustment for how small the pup was. I also got sick of pinching my fingers in them

I went to the local Pick and Pull and got 2 jacks for 5 bucks a piece and welded metal plates onto them. I think they were from either Civics or Jettas. They worked great last season (although for a heavy pup, your welds need to be better than mine :laugh:) Here's a link with pictures.

https://www.tinycamperpro.com/2018/...zers-for-your-bunkhouse-or-other-tiny-camper/

Does your drill have a low gear in it? Some of those guys are pretty strong and Milwaukee is a quality brand.

15. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    TinyCamperPro, I checked out your link there, good job on you mod. Thanks. Thats pretty much what I might wind up doing, I'm still not sure. Yes my drill has a low speed for more torque, but like I mentioned, I need to make an adapter first before I can try it out.

16. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I have the Coleman/Fleetwood ones Grey pictured and they work fine with a drill. A cheap drill, I might add. (Didn't feel like I needed the drill until we did the axle "flip". It started to feel like work after that!) You would probably not want the cheap drill if you're doing the roof with it, too, of course.

(I'm sure you know that proponents of the BAL leveler will assure you that it is really good to reduce jiggle. I don't think I'd want to mess with it with a sore shoulder though!)