Replacing the flooring in my Bantam Trail lite..

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Bigpineguy, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    the only thing that is wrong with our new toy is the floor is shot..... Removed the dinette , and water storage tank, and removed the old flooring and foam.... Got new 2x2's to resupport the new plywood that will attach to the existing metal braces ... kind of a messy project , but fairly easy.....I am taking pics and will post them when I am all done ....

BPG~

2. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    got rushed and didn't take as many pics as I would like.....

But.....

The A/C worked but didn't blow like it should,,, they just ordered a new starter capacitor today, but when I got it home and had the a/c running for awhile, it started blowing strong again!!! I'm thinking that the starter capacitor kicked in and now the blower is blowing awesome .....I don't know why it started on it's own ....but it did;..........the dealership already ordered the part ( $47.59) ........So, I will still get the part.....and see if it still works over the week end..... and decide if I will keep the part as a spare or have it installed....

BTW....pics of the rehab to follow soon...

BPG~

3. MIlover

MIlover Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Fairly easy you say? Bigpineguy, I see you also are a Michigander? When you have finished replacing the flooring on your pup, would you like to come repair a corner on our floor? [:D]

Good luck!

4. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Sure.....I am in Downriver area...

5. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I removed the dinette area and removed the old , rotted flooring:
    [​IMG]

Then , I cut 2x2 studs at 12'' center for added support ( something that I read here )
    [​IMG]

I cut foam board for insulation at 10'' strips to place between the studs ( forgot to take pictures of that :p )

I installed 1/2 plywood with staggered seams and screwed down every 6'' :
    [​IMG]

I installed 1/2 moisture barrier pad for carpet areas and the moisture pad for the laminate :
    [​IMG]

Even used the extra carpet for the base around the laminate:
    [​IMG]

6. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Aug 9, 2011
    Central WI
    Did you also do an A/C mod? (square hole) [RTM] Oh...looks really nice! [;)]

7. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    No, that hole was behind the dinette seat, it has a rooftop 13,500 btu system

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Jul 13, 2011
    Looks great!

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Great job.

10. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    that looks great !

11. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    Great job

12. Parrothead1123

Parrothead1123 New Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Very nice !!!! Looks good.

Scott

13. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    I appreciate the pics. I know it has been awhile since you posted this, but it looks like I am going to get into my flooring here sooner than later. Just got a 2001 Bantam 23 footer, that is a little more rotted than I thought. But isn't that the way it always is.

14. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I knew how bad the floor was in mine, but the price reflected it, and I am a flooring installer by trade ....

If you need any help, we are all here to help you along the way ...

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Bigpineguy......a plane ticket is 'in the mail' for you to VA!! If you took a 2 week vacation from work up there, you could triple your money in VA, I'd bet! [:O] [LOL]

Compliments of Camping World, my flooring under the sink, about dead center of the box, is now squeaking pretty good. I'm NOT looking forward to this, but when the time comes, I'm looking forward to putting some wooden flooring down. I also love that carpet on the bunk ends idea. Looks good and my dogs could jump up and down and not slide across the floor anymore!! Also, that square hole under the dining area?...wouldn't that be just the CUTEST DOGGIE DOOR ever?? [A] [;)]

[:D]

16. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Oct 28, 2008
    Dover,FL
    Wow, looking good!

This is my fear with buying a used Hybrid. After the renovation of our last pup. I'm over renovation.

But knowing me! I'm sure if I bought one, I wouldn't be able to help myself and would be in there tearing it a part without a second thought. LOL!

Sharon

17. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    We actually looked at a couple, and smart me, decided on the one that needed some work to save some money. Although, after looking at these pics, and knowing now the it's done from the inside out, it might not be as bad as i thought. I am going to wait until we knock out next months trip though. I am afraid I do not have enough Saturdays till then to get the job done right.

18. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Start to finish , it only took me 2 afternoons ....Mind you, I do this for a living ...

19. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Great job!!!

20. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Bigpineguy, the 2x2 frame you built in there, It looks like it's sitting on the moisture barrier. I suspect it's balancing on the camper frame? Is it also attached to the metal frame around it in any way?