Reserve America tips???

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by JBinNV, Oct 13, 2017.

1. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    I usually camp off grid, but this year there are a few developed campsites that I want to visit early next spring. As we approach the 6 month window of opportunity, are there any tips or tricks I can use to lock up a few choice campgrounds through Reserve America? I have never booked a campsite with them and was wondering if it is a simple process. Do I need to get up with coffee in hand waiting for some count down timer to fire off before I can grab these sites that I have scouted over the summer, without someone else beating me to it?

2. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    I guess I was wrong. It looks like everything is already booked out a year in advance. I have tried 15 times since posting this to try to reserve any dates possible at the campground I want to visit with no luck whatsoever.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    What campground are you trying to book at?

4. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    East Fork Campground in Rock Creek Lake, California. Any one of these sites: 110, 111, 112, 114, 116 or 118. Sept 26th - 30th 2018

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Here's what I found when I tried a reservation for those dates:

Arrival date may be beyond Reservation Window
    • Select arrival date before Fri Apr 13 2018
    • Come back on Mon Mar 26 2018 and try again
    • See other dates by using the calendar below

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I just checked those dates and you're outside the reservation window.

Arrival date may be beyond Reservation Window
    • Select arrival date before Fri Apr 13 2018
    • Come back on Mon Mar 26 2018 and try again

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Agreed. I've used the site before. It's how you book state parks in Illinois (among many other states, I'm sure). Each state and/or campground has different rules about how far in advance you can book. And I every park fills up at a different rate depending on how popular it is.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    And the reservation window can vary from state to state.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    You can only book during the eligible booking window, on both reserveamerica.com and recreation.gov. For many places, that's 6 months in advance. There are some places, such as Utah state parks, that have a 4 month window. There are some places that let you book up to a year or so ahead of time. (e.g. Arizona state parks, but they have their own website).
    How on the dot you need to be depends on the popularity of the campground, and time of year. Camping has become more popular over the past few years, and we now find there are places (Grand Canyon, other NPs, and Colorado camping, among them) where we are usually out of luck if we don't book at 6 months or so. We booked our Thanksgiving camping for an AZ SP in March, since we wanted a power site and are meeting friends, so wanted sites near each other. We already have reservations for a Retro meet-up in April, and will need to book soon if we opt to go to Utah right after that.
    While it may sound daunting, once we start to plan a trip, I put the dates I can reserve on my calendar. If it's a place we haven't been to before, we may do research on the website and campsitephotos.com, maybe even satellite pics, so I have a list of sites. We usually have notes if we've been to a campground in the past, though if they update the campground they aren't always as useful as they had been.

10. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    call the campground and ask to be put on cancellation list?