Reverse battery Protection Fuse Blows Main Fuse

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Solohopper, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Solohopper

Solohopper New Member

Hello all. I just found this place because of course, I have an issue. I just bought a 2005 Fleetwood Rushmore and absolutely love the trailer. Wife and I are excited to take it out this weekend but I am having an issue. I found that the 20 amp main fuse was blown which meant I had no power to the trailer with the battery hooked up. it works fine on house power but nothing with the battery. I am able to remove all the other fuses and put them back in without the main fuse blowing except the 30amp reverse battery protection fuse. If I leave that one out, everything works properly. But the second I touch the 30 amp fuse to the connectors it will blow the 20 amp fuse.

The front wires were changed out just before I bought the trailer but I have traced them and they are not reversed. I will get a really high ohm reading if I touch positive to negative leads without the battery hooked up. It ranges from 1800-2500 and I am not really sure what that means.

Any help would be appreciated. We are leaving Thursday at noon for a four-day outing so I am hoping to get this fixed before then.

Thank you in advance

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

"without the main fuse blowing except the 30amp reverse battery protection fuse"
    Are you sure the polarity is correct?
    You have the symptoms of the battery being hooked up backwards

3. Solohopper

Solohopper New Member

"Are you sure the polarity is correct?"

I like to think that I am a mechanically inclined person. I have worked on many vehicles, I have worked on just about everything in my house and I can usually figure out how most things work. So when I read your post, I thought to myself ..............PSSSSSSHHHHHHH, of course it's correct. But let me just go check one last time. AND Guess what????????? It was in fact reversed. I took for granted that the guy at the camping world would have wired the front end correctly. LOL....i feel like a total newb now. I even read over and over again how some factory models have shown up with this problem and it was the least of my worries. I guess "Keep It Simple Stupid" should be a priority still. HAHAHA, Basics, basics, basics. Thank McFly for humbling me down nicely.

neighbormike and tfischer like this.