Roadside Assistance Poll

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by mpking, Mar 25, 2017.

Which Roadside Assistance Plan do you Subscribe to, covering your PopUP as well as cars

This poll will close on Sep 25, 2017 at 8:42 AM.
  1. AAA

44.1%
  2. GoodSam

14.7%
  3. CoachNet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

17.6%
  5. Car insurance has roadside

29.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I voted "car insurance" because I do think mine has some limited provision for that... but in general I'm self-insured for roadside problems. Meaning I write a check or swipe a card in the hopefully rare case this happens.

2. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
  3. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Best roadside assistance is when a fellow camper takes the time to stop, and ask if they can help you and do what they can to get back on your way.

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    How about this scenario:

You set-up camp, enjoy the evening.

Next morning you drive all over seeing the sights, and then it happens at 7pm on a Saturday 30 miles from your campsite. Your TV is run over by a drunk driver and not road worthy. No immediate injuries to you or your son. Passerby's call 911 and offer immediate assistance.

So now what? You call your roadside service, USAA, and explain the situation. You are told the closest rental car place is over an hour away, the cops already left the scene, the drunk and vehicle is gone. You are sitting on the side of a dark road with a your 7yo DS.

What actually happened because I was 100 miles from home:
    Luckily USAA flat-bedded my car all the way to my house per request for no additional charge to me for 8 times the mileage, and my DS and I could have gone with. But now how to get back to the pup and it home the following day??

Luckily I had a friend that was able to pick me up and take me to the campsite, and then a ride to get a rental car in the morning. That part is good.

However, Enterprise, no regular rental car place will allow you to tow with a rental car. Now how to get the pup home?? Again, luckily I had a buddy near and was able to have him tow my pup the 100 miles home for me, and luckily I kept the ball mount from my car.

What if I were 1,000 miles from home?

USAA said they will tow the trailer with the TV if it were in tow, which is standard from all places I called. But if it were not in tow, as my actual scenario then what? The tow truck will take you and your TV to the repair shop and you have to figure out what to do with the pup or even how to get to it.

But if the pup is not in tow then they wouldn't do anything about the pup and simply take the car to a repair facility and you deal with a u-haul or whichever you can find with a hitch.

I asked USAA and called various other companies about this scenario, Luckily I was near enough to home to have friends help me out. If this happened in the middle of an extended road trip I'd be up [PP] with out a [KK]...

Scenario 2:

You finish your first stop of an extended road trip and are heading down the mountain, about 200 miles from home, and you have complete brake failure, pedal to the floor, and e-brake has very little effect. Luckily you were going very slow and pull over in a safe spot. No cell coverage, so you head down the road to a business and call USAA for a tow and you request a flat bed and to be towed to an auto parts store and not a mechanic shop, they oblige.

The flat bed arrives, puts the car on the bed and attempts to install a ball on the wheel lift and doesn't have a wrench, luckily I do. I and my son get in the tow truck and he takes us to an O'reillies in the direction we were going passing many repair shops. USAA did not charge me anything extra, the truck driver said the tow would have been almost $200.

I replaced the rear brake shoes and hardware in the parking lot for under $30. Then had to reattach my 4 prong plug as I ripped it apart with my jack, of course, when unhooking for the tow truck.

So USAA has take great care of me, many more times also, and I will stick with them but do worry about my TV being totaled many miles away from home.

Some people say that roadside service is a waste of money and if you saved your premiums up over the years you would have more than enough to pay for the tows and such. I have had USAA pay way more out to me and services than I have ever paid in all insurance premiums. I will gladly pay USAA to keep me as a customer, I just need to find coverage for the extended trips!!

5. tfischer

If the police left you at the side of a road, especially with a child, and a totaled vehicle, that was entirely irresponsible and you should escalate this as a complaint.

It's not the police's problem to solve all your problems, but it IS their problem to keep the roadways (and you) safe. Standing at the side of a highway is not safe. Having a totaled vehicle at the side of the roadway is not safe. They should have helped you make arrangements.

6. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I moved my car off the road, it was a frontage road that paralleled an interstate, got out and the cop got in his car and left. I still hadn't confirmed a tow truck was on the way nor got a hold of my friend to see if she could get me. Quite odd to me to be sitting on the side of the road like that, but what else could I do. Luckily my car was able to start and able to charge my cell enough to get help.

This was 1.5 years ago, so I'm not taking more time on it.

7. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I heard back from AAA today. @Snow your right, they said they do not cover it nationally, nor do they even cover it in my region. Looks like AAA has fallen off the list.

I'm slowly whittling my choices down.

8. tfischer

I would have called 911 again. That is ridiculous. They should have had an ambulance come unless you refused it (and you never should, if it isn't your fault)

9. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    There was a fire truck and ambulance on scene, I had my son checked out by the medic, he has special needs and can't always say what he needs to, the drunk went in the bus.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have AAA +RV. In August of 2009 our mini-van broke down on the Mass Turnpike near the tollbooths going onto rt 84. Luckily I was able to get it to the parking area next to the tollbooths. I called AAA and they could not tow in that area. There was some sort of policy with the Turnpike. Anyway, they gave me a number to call. Called the number and within 30 min a flatbed truck shows up. He ended up putting the pup on the flatbed and towing the van. He said one of the other drivers forgot to put the 2" ball back in the truck. He did not want to hold us up any longer. He called a buddy mechanic of his and explained what happened to us. He said replace the battery and don't open any windows or use anything powerwise! He drove us to Walmart, I picked up a new battery and drove us to a local campground. He filled out some paperwork and said AAA will cover it. I signed and done!! He unloaded the van and pup for us and he went on his way. The CG towed to pup to a site for us and the DW and DS set it up while I replaced the battery. We made it home from Oak Haven Family CG in Mass.

Gotta say the folks at the CG were extremely nice to us and bent over backwards to help us out!!!

11. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Weird. AAA of mass (were I'm from) said they had zero coverage in this state.