Rockwood freedom

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Makalary, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Makalary

Makalary Member

Evening all,
    Does anyone own or have comments re; rockwood freedom 1940 ltd

2. mantis32

mantis32 Member

Looks like a solid unit to me. I've been up and down the floorplans of the various rockwood freedom's. If I was okay with no slide out, the 1940 ltd would be the one for me.

3. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I have a 2000 Rockwood Freedom 1940, it's my first pop up and I love it. It was easy to tow behind a sedan and now that I have a SUV I don't even know it's there. Anything in particular you want to know about?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You have a link to one in particular?

5. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Our first PUP was a 2003 Rockwood 1940TD, it was a great upgrade from sleeping on the ground in a tent, we were very happy with it. After a few years we longed for more creature comforts such as hot water, a cassette toilet and more room. One thing we did miss about the 1940 was it had lots of floor space to store things while traveling, that space is lost with our current PUP due to the slide out. It was a solid trailer, towed great but due to it's weight being under 2,000 lbs it didn't have brakes (not required in WA under 2,000 lbs), I was glad I had a full size truck but even then I could feel it pushing me during quick stops.

6. Makalary

Makalary Member

Thanks for replies

7. Redbird

Redbird Member

We have a 2009 Rockwood Freedom LTD and have taken it all over the state this summer with our Ford Escape. We haven't had any issues with the camper except for one of the lifter arms which sticks occasionally when lowering the roof back down (easily solved by lubing with silicone spray). We bought a BAL leveler and it fits the tires perfectly. I really like the vinyl-coated tenting; it's easy to clean and keeps the canvas interior dry. The inside is pretty roomy, though the most we've had camping in the trailer this season is four adults.

The storage space is pretty decent, but I don't personally expect a ton of storage in a small tent trailer. There are only two drawers, so we bought a set of three plastic drawers to set on the counter for easier access to frequently-used items. All of our storage spaces are further organized by plastic bins and baskets. Most of our campsite equipment goes in the back of the tow vehicle because there just isn't room for it in the camper.

The awning is kind of a pain to put out and then to put back away, but I think that's pretty much the same for every pop-up camper. They're just not as sturdy as those on standard travel trailers. For short weekend trips, a lot of the time we don't even bother with the awning and use our screen room instead.

I hope this review helps!