roof AC on pop up.....

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by grumpy of ohio, Jun 25, 2012.

1. grumpy of ohio

grumpy of ohio New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    New member, just joined and am seeking info on my pop up....just purchased a Coleman 1996 Fleetwood Laredo Pop Up......I've scoured the internet looking for an answer to, can this pop up roof support an A/C unit??

The inside roof, rear portion has 4 plastic dots, 14" square located behind interior light.....roof seems quite heavy, but it might be from the Aluma coating someone else applied.....I can find no answer to if the roof will support the weight, I don't believe the roof is ABS plastic (hard to tell with the coating) but a small nick seems to show aluminum.....any help would be appreciated.....

We golden agers, been thru the tent, then motorhome, pull along trailer and now pop up camper.....Ihave a Dometic air unit from my pull along and would like to install it on my PUP.....anyone have a clue....even to what the 4 plastic dots on the ceiling mean....thanks......

I have no problems cutting a hole and doing the wiring for an AC unit, been a millright/electrician all my life.....just unsure of the roof and weight.....

2. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Aug 9, 2011
    Central WI
    There should be a cover plate on the wall that says, "Pre-wired for A/C". Your year should have it. Not sure about the four dots...but someone here will know! [:D]

3. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

Jun 5, 2012
    14x14" is the standard size cutout for most rooftop ACs so I'd be inclined to think that those are marking the best place to cut for the install.

4. Alberto

Alberto New Member

May 1, 2012
    The 14x14 is for the ac I got the same thing on my Coleman.There should be a suppert bar going a cross the front of it for the ac.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
  6. grumpy of ohio

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks so far for all the responses...nothing definitive though...could of and should of does not make cutting a hole easy....

No markings on a wall ( but what wall , sides are cloth) ceiling rear drivers side has sticker for emergency exit!!

The 4 plastic like screw covers (dots) are in the rear portion of the ceiling , 14" square, center of ceiling and the roof does have a rib down its center , front to rear.... Still going to hold off cutting a hole but if worse comes with definite answer....I can cut the hole and install a ceiling vent....

Still hoping for a definite answer but thank l who responded....will keep checking back!

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Aug 9, 2011
    Central WI
    On my unit there is an electrical blank plate opposite the door side of the camper. It is labeled "pre-wired for A/C". (about 2 ft from the floor) [PU]

8. grumpy of ohio

Jun 25, 2012
    Still hoping for a definitive answer before hacking a hole in the roof....from what I'm reading on braces...some seem to run front to rear ( kind of confusing getting around the tracks for putting the door up) or at best braces that run side to side ( makes better sense but for support, attach to what on the side..

Like I said, the 4 plastic dots on the ceiling mean what ? Other than an indication of where to cut a 14" square hole....Hoping for more replies..

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    All the braces I have seen run side to side. There is also a "channel" mounted to the ceiling for the wires to hind it, but offer no support.
    This may help ........ www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=2438

Here is a good photo of the A/C brace on a 2000 with an ABS roof. It goes from side to side about in the middle/front of the roof.

[​IMG]

The small channel going from the A/C at an angle is the wire channel.

10. grumpy of ohio

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info...but still not helping... Believe my roof is aluminum skin with who knows what in between and then the inside ceiling....for sure not ABS.

I could easily brace from the inside , side to side with aluminum channel but if not needed would prefer not to.....puzzling are the 4 plastic heads or dots on ceiling....see no reason for them unless designating where 14"sq. hole should be cut. Know what I mean...too bad Coleman isn't around for a definite answer but thanks all who tried to help

11. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

May 31, 2010
    A picture of your interior roof might help.

12. CenFlCamper

CenFlCamper New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    While I don't have gas solid anwser for you concerning this. My 2006 fleetwood had the same 4 plastic push pins in the roof. There was a previous post that states when coleman/fleetwood units had the roof brace installed from the factory (memory tells me 1998/99). My 2006 Scorpion took me 3-4 months to gather the needed hardware to compleate this much needed mod/improvement.
    My top construction is aluminum,Styrofoam,wood, then a wallpaper type material (it does have a name but its escaped my feeble mind). Let me see if I can find a picture of my roof section.

Hope this helps a bit

13. grumpy of ohio

Jun 25, 2012
    Guess this gone as far as it can, so I thank all that tried to help....I'll post back my experiences after I undertake the project...too many irons in the fire right now and it is camping season.....more of a late fall project... Thanks again!

14. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

Oct 27, 2010
    The four dots are definately where the A/C goes on my 96 Coleman since I watched the dealer cut the hole with a reciprocating saw. The weight of your A/C unit should not exceed 110 lbs. Putting the unit on top of the camper is a two person job, and I recommend that you brace the four corners to keep from putting too much stress on the lift system when you install it.

15. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Those four dots ARE the location of the AC. If it was me I wouldn't cut a 14x14 square hole, I would cut ONLY to suit the size of the "ducting" on the AC unit. Probably two rectangular holes, better yet they could be round on the ends to eliminate any corners. Stay off the roof!

16. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Grumpy

I understand the desire to have an a/c unit.

Your camper has a roof that has an aluminum outer surface- 3/4 foam in the center and 3/16 'paneling' on the inside.

The dots indicate a location to cut a hole for a roof vent or an a/c duct, BUT NOT NESSICARILY the SIZE the hole should be.

Measure twice... cut once AFTER you have the directions and vent or A/C to install.

The camper is wired for the a/c circut, BUT you will need to install roof bracing.

The lift system will lift and lower the roof and the a/c unit safely, BUT the roof will support the weight of the a/c unit as it bounces and travels across the road only if the roof is braced.

You can build your own A/C roof brace as "factory or dealer installed" ones are no longer available. The picture posted before gives you the basic idea of what one could look like.

Here is the "lift system repair manual" see p24

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=3122