Roof Latching Concern

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by MrsSquid, May 18, 2017.

1. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    When we're putting the roof down, we've noticed that back of the roof closes a whole lot easier than the front. The back two latches are easy to do, and the front has to be pushed down a smidge before the latch will reach. What could be causing this? Besides the obvious things like making sure the canvas is tucked neatly and that there's nothing on the inside bumping up against the roof, what other things should we be reviewing? Is there something mechanical in nature that we should check? Thanks.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Adjust the latches by loosing the front ones a bit. Hope this helps.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Is it worse in cold weather? Do you have a topper on that bunk and not the other?
    We had to adjust our latches a bit depending on the time of year. We also had a memory foam topper on the bed, and in cold weather it was slow to compress. Having the window zippers open just a bit, and giving it a bit of time for gravity to help the roof settle and push out trapped air also helped. There was one corner that was the most difficult in any weather; leaving that until last worked best.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If you can get them closed without a lot of extra force, I think you don't need to worry about it. On many campers the front bunk is the "bigger" one and the canvas is probably just laying differently.

theseus and kitphantom like this.
  5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    The last couple of times we set up, the variance was more pronounced than it used to be. It took my husband's strength to push down on the roof in order to get the latch to work.

We do have a topper on that end. Since the weather was warmer and we've always had the topper, I don't think cold weather and compression are the cause. Perhaps I've missed an edge or something or an extra bulky spot with the canvas. I'll have to try the idea of keeping the window zipper open just a bit.

We just wondered if there was some check or adjustment that we were overlooking. The last thing we want is to damage our lift system. We don't seem to have any other issues with lifting or lowering.

Thanks for the tips and reassurances. We'll just keep an eye on it.

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I have a 2 inch memory foam topper for the front bed. When I tried to close roof with topper on it was very tight like you describe, so now I remove the topper and it lays on top of the dinette when camper gets closed. No more issues with the roof not going down the way it is suppose to. May be something you might want to try. Good Luck!!

7. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    This happened on my Avalon, I also noticed the front would raise a little higher than the rear and I would have to pull the front of the top down to latch it but the rear would latch easily. Sound familiar?
    With the top closed, and assuming there is nothing inside applying pressure, crawl under and look at the lift cables. Look to see if there is a lot of tension on the front cables and less tension on the rear cables. I found exactly that on my Avalon. I loosened the front cables and snugged the rear cables at the whiffle tree (top closed and latched) until all the cables had slight tension closed. Top goes up evenly and i no longer have to jump up and down on the front to latch it.

Adam

MrsSquid likes this.
  8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We moved the topper from the bunk end and noticed that it did close easier. We do have one corner whose height when lifted is out of spec. So he checked the cable tension. We will have to make some adjustments. Thanks to all who replied .

9. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    This doesn't solve your problem but I have found instead of pushing down on the top, I bend my knees and hang my weight from the top and my wife latches. Much easier than pushing down in an awkward position.