Roof rack attached lower frame?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Nate Baxley, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Nate Baxley

Nate Baxley New Member

May 7, 2017
    I've been looking around the forums and don't see this option mentioned which probably means it's a bad idea for some reason I'm not thinking of. I want to make a roof rack for bikes (there are 8 of us), but don't really feel comfortable attaching it to the roof. There was already an AC on the roof when we got it and not sure what additional weight it can carry. We have a 1996 Rockport Premiere 2307 that we bought last year.

My idea was to have side bars that would attach to the frame of the camper and carry the weight through that. Two bars on each side that would be connected across the top of the camper. Essentially making two rectangles that encircles the camper and then mount bike racks to that. The cross bars would be easily removable to raise the roof.

In my head this makes sense, but seeing no one else doing it makes me think I'm forgetting something. Anyone want to set me straight?

Nate Baxley
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    So an removable exo-skeleton type of thing.. it could work.. you would have to do some re-enforcing of the outer frame pieces to the main frame rails, not much but some. Oh and of course subtract the weight of the skeleton and bikes from the CCC of the pup...
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I'm guessing that the only reason you are not seeing this is that not many people with popup campers have eight in their crew!

I've been trying to figure out how to bring some of my bikes on trips, but I would only need bring four at the most. I've been looking at THESE, but I'm not crazy about putting any weight on the roof. Even if it is just the back tires. A bouncy pup could create problems.

Just be wary of the weight of the eight bikes. I have mountain bikes (heavy) and carbon fiber bikes (ultra light). The weight could add up quickly. Also be wary that attaching anything to a C-channel bumper (if you have one) is not usually recommended by manufactures. They are not meant to carry much, if any, weight.

I think you are on the right track by using the frame and not the roof as the weight bearing base.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I thought I saw a post of something kind of similar but for a boat. They used removable bars in front and back of the popup to support the weight of the boat. That way the weight was not on the roof but on racks attached to the frame of the camper. Just watch the weight. I would weigh your camper as if your going camping to see exactly how much weight you can add before your overweight. Take it from a kayak camper, weight adds up fast. Also check your tongue weight before and after you add the bikes. With the bikes set a bit further back then the tongue you might not be seeing too much of an addition, but weight will be added.
  5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't think that weight on the roof is a big issue when the camper is closed. As long as you remove the bikes before you raise the roof.