Roof Seam Help?!!

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Trey M., Jul 13, 2017.

1. Trey M.

Trey M. New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Roof seam help for a 1999 Dutchmen M-1203-Classic

The 2 picture links below are the result from a week along the Gulf of Mexico! The people we bought our pop-up from obviously used tape to "mask" this issue as it was just beginning.

We are asking for any & all advice / help to actually fix this issue, instead of just covering it with more tape.

http://s84.photobucket.com/user/tm3...s[user]=25291978&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s84.photobucket.com/user/tm3...s[user]=25291978&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

2. CA443

CA443 New Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Can you add pictures zoomed out a bit more, it is hard to tell where the issue is located.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Can you tell if the roof is pulling away from the side molding or is the side molding pulling away from the roof?

Is the gap the same down the entire side of the trailer or is it on one corner than an opposite corner (roof twisted)? The one photo makes is look like it is only in a certain area not the entire side.

For that big of a gap you might need to add some hard material or try and straighten out the roof is twisted.

For just sealing purposes, I have applied Eternabond tape but the roof was not pulled away from the side like yours.

4. jnellis01

jnellis01 Love to Travel

Jul 4, 2014

5. jnellis01

jnellis01 Love to Travel

Jul 4, 2014
    Your roof pulled away. My uncles did the same, after he pulled the pup over very rough roads. For him the box frame seemed to shift causing the lids old adhesive to fail, therefore his roof pulled away. Just something to think about.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    So how did he repair it; clamp the room sides to pull it back into place; then reseal?

Surprised if rough roads cause it, mine has not pulled away. First few years I took mine down some of the nastiest trails in Moab.:D

7. Trey M.

Trey M. New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Oklahoma
    It looks to me like the side molding has pulled away from the roof & fell under / below it.

The gap is only on the right side (when looking down the trailer). The left side is okay for now, but it also has the same black tape in this same area.

Any possible ideas on pulling the side molding back to the top of the roof? Obviously we need to add some sealant beforehand, but we need to make sure we can get the side molding back to the top.

8. Trey M.

Trey M. New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Oklahoma

Attached Files:

9. Trey M.

Trey M. New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Oklahoma
    How did he repair his?