Roof "unglued"

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Turbulent, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Not sure how to describe this one and because of it wasn't able to search it properly. But here goes:

The roof on my pup has an area where the plastic ( I'll call it plastic) which makes the exterior shell of the roof is seemingly unglued from the wood. There doesn't appear to be any spongy wood underneath (when I press down) and there aren't any signs of mold or streaks on the interior (inside the pup).

Are these typically glued to some type of wood/ply that can come undone with heat/sun?

How would I go about repairing it?

Thanks

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    What camper do you have? (Make,model year?) "Plastic" makes me think it might be the ABS roof, which had issues with de-laminating, sagging, and cracking.

3. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Jan 2, 2018
    It's a 2008 starcraft 2108 model.
    I called it plastic for lack of better term. I don't have any pics that I've been able to snap and upload.

4. mikracer

mikracer New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Most likely a Filon roof. I have a similar issue on my Rockwood where it appears the adhesive has failed and the skin is coming off of the structure (not water damage). I did a quick google search and found a post where someone suggested drilling a small hole through the skin only and use a syringe to inject an adhesive (epoxy?) and spread it around to get the area to stick back down. You put enough in to where it comes out of the hole you drilled, so then once it cures, that will seal the hole. Not sure how I feel about that method, but it kind of makes sense.

durhamcamper likes this.
  5. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Jan 2, 2018

Hadn't thought about that method but like you I'm hesitant to do so. I'll take a better look this weekend to see if I can find a way

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    If you could verify no water damage or moisture (perhaps with a moisture meter?) the epoxy method makes sense.

7. mikracer

mikracer New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Turbulent likes this.
  8. kingbain

kingbain Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Turbulent likes this.
  9. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Jan 2, 2018

Awesome! I haven't come around to trying it yet, but will definitely give it a shot.

What method did you use to smooth out the roof? Im thinking i start "smoothing" out from one end towards the edge (like applying a screen protector)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. burtonfamily101

burtonfamily101 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Not trying to hijack thread but I have a 95 starcraft that I noticed that is not flat. It seems to be bubbling inward, But good news I don't see any water damage on the inside.

How should I fix or is it worth worrying about.

11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

"Bubbling inward" I need pictures!!