Roof won't stay up

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Stacy in AZ, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stacy in AZ

Stacy in AZ New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I just bought a 2005 Fleetwood and have taken it out a few times with no issues. However, after my last camp the roof no longer stays up. When I crank it up there is no longer the clicking sound that it used to have. If I let go of the crank, the roof immediately falls. Any ideas or advice? My fear is this camper I have grown to love so quickly is going to become a money pit.

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    I posted an answer to your question in the Lift System (edited) Forum.

Since I don't know which model of 2005 Fleetwood you have, I can't attach a link to your exact Parts Book, but you can go to www.colemanpopupparts.com and then click on the Parts Book tab to find it. (You can also get the original brochure for it by clicking on the Model Specs tab.) Somewhere around page 3 or 4 you'll find a diagram of the lift system and lift arms along with all the part numbers. That same website is a good source of replacement parts and you might also find them on ebay or elsewhere on the internet.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    Stacy in AZ likes this.
  3. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Stacy in AZ likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The paw(hook) is not moving. At the bottom of the little box that the crank shaft goes into is a small plate. It may have a rivet at each side with the heads would have to be drilled off. Not a big deal. With the cover removed you should see a gear with teeth and a small spring loaded paw (hook). Free up that paw and you have your problem fixed. ONLY oil or WD40 the pivot for the paw and don't get any on the large round metal and fiber disc. (clutch).

Stacy in AZ likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    possible that spring that pulls curved paw may have broken or popped loose. Most likely the paw is still there but not doing its job without the spring keeping it in place.

Stacy in AZ likes this.
  6. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

Sep 23, 2016
    yep, sounds like the pawl isn't engaging ... it's either stuck or the spring is broken, my bet is the latter.

Stacy in AZ likes this.
  7. Stacy in AZ

Stacy in AZ New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I truly appreciate it!

8. dak2

dak2 Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Try cranking the roof up all the way and then OVERCRANK it a little and then see if the roof stays up.

Stacy in AZ likes this.
  9. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup New Member

Saturday
    Sycamore IL
    Kind of fearful about the cranking all the way up.., it's a fast and hard landing if it doesn't work or your hand comes off the crank.... Could prove more damage/injury if not super careful...

10. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    You over crank just a little, then let it down a few inches, then try cranking it back up and you should hear the clicking.

A Fleetwood/Coleman shouldn't free fall.

11. Fless

Fless Active Member

Absolutely right. If the whiffletree doesn't slow it way down it you have much bigger issues.
    _

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    One question: did you OVER counter crank? My 2nd popup had the problem because my young son was overly exciting about helping, he cranked the wrong way for a while. It wouldnt go up when I try to crank up. then 4 of my friends pushed up the roof while I cranked and it solved the problem. don't ask me how it worked but it did.