Rotating tires with spare

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by kgesiako, Aug 19, 2018.

Do you rotate your spare tire onto your axles?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

90.0%
  1. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    I’m sure this has been asked before but I just started thinking about this. How many people rotate their spare tires onto their trailer? And if not, when you get new tires because of age, do you replace your spare also? It seems almost a shame to go 5-6 years on your tires and then replace all three(or 5) with one never even touching pavement. Looking forward to hearing thoughts about this.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Just replace 2. The spare isn't exposed to the weather, same as being stored inside a warehouse.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Nope, we don't rotate the spare because we have never worn out trailer tires in 30+ years of having campers. But I do get 2 rebalanced 2 tires every year, since it's free at my dealer. Yep, we replace all 3 every 5 years. Heard to many stories where someone had a flat, only to have the old spare blow apart just a few miles down the road.

Trailer tires have have a shelf life of maybe 10 years, and the dealers will not install new or used tires if 10 years old. The life of a trailer tire is reduce by running athigher speeds, overloaded and underinflated. So I know I have over 5 years I have reduced the life expectancy of my tires. Cost wise there is not not much yearly difference doing it every 5 years vs 7 years (for me it's $60 vs 45). So we play it safe and change them all at 5 years, so we reduce our chance of being on the side of the road. Many people use a 7 year rule and I have heard of people using 3 years.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I replaced our tires with radials so the life is much better than bias-ply. I do not rotate the spare in. But all three tires were balanced.

myride likes this.